Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   165 wagon (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=95653)

saintjohn May 14th, 2010 13:05

165 wagon

Hi all just joined up , im finally going to restore the volvo 165 which a few of you might have heard about in Australia. It was a one off chassis no 1651360001 made for the then managing director of volvo. l have had it for about 12 years or so l think its about time l got onto it. I have got full documentation from volvo themselves inc the drop sheet of the production line dated 29/2/1972. hope to post some photos soon regards John

john h May 14th, 2010 17:40

Hi John,

A very warm welcome to the forum; I'm seriously glad you joined up and delighted to read this post!

I'm in the UK but I keep in touch from time to time with Heino Nowatzky and he told me about your unique Volvo-built 165.

Please please post up loads of photos. I'm really looking forward to seeing the car and your restoration.

Cheers

John

Audrey Old May 15th, 2010 20:14

We too welcome you to our little haven.....

Would love to see pics of your car, as we have a pic of one (maybe a 145 conversion) when we went to Cumbers garage, Brixham, Cormwall some years ago in our maroon 164 and saw a similar-coloured 165 having an MoT test.

Hope the car is in sound basic condition.

Paul

saintjohn May 18th, 2010 23:34

volvo 165 resto

The car is reasonably sound some rust spots around back windows but nothing around the front windscreen strange, body generally is in good order although it might be different when l take the paint off. The black leather interior is good motor will be getting a rebuild along with brakes etc. hope to have some photos soon regards John

Volvophile May 19th, 2010 14:42

Was this the car given to Volvo design chief, Jan Wilsgaard, upon his retirement by any chance?

T240 May 19th, 2010 16:37

Hi, and welcome to the madhouse :)

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing this!!!!!!!

Does she have power steering by any chance?

Cheers,

T

ClassicVolvoShop May 20th, 2010 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintjohn (Post 672600)
The car is reasonably sound some rust spots around back windows but nothing around the front windscreen strange, body generally is in good order although it might be different when l take the paint off. The black leather interior is good motor will be getting a rebuild along with brakes etc. hope to have some photos soon regards John

What colour is it?

saintjohn May 21st, 2010 06:36

volvo 165 resto

Hi all again to answer all the above questions 1st l believe it was built for the then MD Jo Wedde a Finn 2nd it had power steering and air condtioning and 3rd the colour was listed as Kansas Red regards to all John

ClassicVolvoShop May 21st, 2010 10:41

By the help of Google Translate: (I have not adjusted the mechanically translation)

Quote:

Volvo 165 is a model that many wished that it was produced, but the truth is that no herrgårdsvagnsversion (estate/wagon) of the Volvo 164 has never manufactured in Torslanda.

All 165 ranks have been modified subsequently by private persons and body maker.

Two copies will be built in Volvo's assembly plants in Australia and South Africa.
and..
Quote:

...Volvo in Australia to 1972 built a prototype of a 165: a, which was supposed to be exported to the United States. The exports would get around the strict rules that limited the number of cars that were manufactured in the country. By putting together the kit to a 145 and a 164 got a wagon with B30-A engine, M410 gearbox, black leather interior. The prototype was painted in an orange color as the Nissan plant in Clayton also put together the Nissan...
It's very interesting - I hope you get around fixing the 165 to it's glory! :)

saintjohn May 21st, 2010 11:06

Volvo 165

John again___ all that information gells with what i received from Volvo in letter form although there was no mention of the American conection only that there might have been another made in South America. The colour is strange as on the drop sheet of the day it was called Kansas Red but in the letter from Volvo it states it was Nissan Orange. Regards John