Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How to retrofit AUDIO RADIO CONTROLLERS in non-optioned XC90 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326327)

Constantinos Jul 2nd, 2022 15:55

How to retrofit AUDIO RADIO CONTROLLERS in non-optioned XC90

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone.
My Volvo XC90 2007 is not very well optioned, and I'm looking to try and improve the options.
I have already added the bluetooth capabilities and now I am looking to add the audio radio controllers for the back seats.
My question is, how would I go about installing these?

XC90Mk1 Jul 2nd, 2022 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2832015)
Hi everyone.
My Volvo XC90 2007 is not very well optioned, and I'm looking to try and improve the options.
I have already added the bluetooth capabilities and now I am looking to add the audio radio controllers for the back seats.

I can’t add anything technically I am aftaid.

However before you embark on this I will say mine has audio controllers and I have never used them in 5 years despite travelling weekly with people.

I have never heard anyone on this forum say they are helpful either….

Constantinos Jul 2nd, 2022 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2832033)
I can’t add anything technically I am aftaid.

However before you embark on this I will say mine has audio controllers and I have never used them in 5 years despite travelling weekly with people.

I have never heard anyone on this forum say they are helpful either….

To be honest, we do a lot of road trips, and I would prefer to have it

Harley Dave Jul 2nd, 2022 23:11

I've got them and I don't even know what they do...

Cheers

Dave

SwissXC90 Jul 3rd, 2022 13:07

Quote:

Hi everyone.

You require a different amplifier with the control capabilities. And the headset controls. And the wiring. Wiring might already be fitted.

Constantinos Jul 3rd, 2022 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2832188)
You require a different amplifier with the control capabilities. And the headset controls. And the wiring. Wiring might already be fitted.

Do you know any part numbers or if it is plug and play?

Clan Jul 3rd, 2022 22:39

Quote:

Hi everyone.

they are factory fit only ... not available as an accessory .

Constantinos Jul 3rd, 2022 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2832252)
they are factory fit only ... not available as an accessory .

I know, I’m just thinking how I would install them

Constantinos Jul 14th, 2022 21:01

Is there a wiring harness that I need to install and is it plug and play?

Clan Jul 14th, 2022 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2834113)
Is there a wiring harness that I need to install and is it plug and play?

As they are not in the accessory book it means no , the loom may or may not be there but it is the operating software is the problem, the car wasn't built with it ....

It is a golden rule in such cases , If the part you want to fit isn't in the volvo accessory list for your car It cannot be done .

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb

TruckbusUK Jul 15th, 2022 11:48

Not provoking an argument, but I'm guessing the accessories have changed over time (certainly lots are missing from when I took delivery,) as it certainly used to be an accessory option.

I had mine supplied, fitted and coded/firmware loaded by my dealer early in 2010 just to stop my kids arguing about who was going to listen to what. Worked well ... about £300 including the coding etc (from memory) ... harness was already behind the panel ... if I remember there were 3 versions of the hardware depending on age/model of the head unit fitted.

Clan Jul 15th, 2022 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 2834216)
Not provoking an argument, but I'm guessing the accessories have changed over time (certainly lots are missing from when I took delivery,) as it certainly used to be an accessory option.

I had mine supplied, fitted and coded/firmware loaded by my dealer early in 2010 just to stop my kids arguing about who was going to listen to what. Worked well ... about £300 including the coding etc (from memory) ... harness was already behind the panel ... if I remember there were 3 versions of the hardware depending on age/model of the head unit fitted.

yes indeed they have deleted the accessory which was never a big seller.

Constantinos Jul 18th, 2022 19:03

Does anyone have a link or something for the wiring as I cannot find any wiring?
Thanks

XC90Mk1 Jul 18th, 2022 20:23

Could I actually ask what they even do? Sorry if that sounds ignorant but I have had them 5 years and never used them. Do you have to use ear phones with them?

TruckbusUK Jul 18th, 2022 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2834901)
Does anyone have a link or something for the wiring as I cannot find any wiring?
Thanks

The wiring is part of the loom, if you remove the plastic mouldings, then there is a multi pin plug that is taped up behind the cover and that provides the connection(wiring) to the cars loom.

TruckbusUK Jul 18th, 2022 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2834911)
Could I actually ask what they even do? Sorry if that sounds ignorant but I have had them 5 years and never used them. Do you have to use ear phones with them?

Yes it does use wired headphones, but allows different source selection to be listened to independent of what the headunit is playing.

SwissXC90 Jul 19th, 2022 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 2834925)
Yes it does use wired headphones, but allows different source selection to be listened to independent of what the headunit is playing.

...within limits.

It allows different sources to be routed to different outputs, but you cannot select different channels within a source.

Eg: following is possible:
Speakers=Radio, Headphones=Radio
Speakers=Radio, Headphones=CD
Speakers=Radio, Headphones=Aux
Speakers=CD, Headphones=Radio
Speakers=CD, Headphones=CD
Speakers=CD, Headphones=Aux
Speakers=Aux, Headphones=Radio
Speakers=Aux, Headphones=CD
Speakers=Aux, Headphones=Aux

But you cannot do this:
Speakers=Radio Station 1, Headphones=Radio Station 2
Speakers=CD Disc 1, Headphones=CD Disc 2
Speakers=CD Disc 1 Track 1, Headphones=CD Disc 1 Track 2

The headphone controls allow you to choose previous/next radio station, or previous/next CD track
Of course, on Aux you have no previous/next control

The headphone controls also allow you to adjust volume

I think it is a great solution and I love it... but my children already had their own iDevices so they never used it...

SwissXC90 Jul 19th, 2022 15:21

PS: for the ultimate entertainment system control, get the handheld IR remote control for the stereo. The rear seat passengers love having full remote control, where they can control everything on the stereo. Literally everything.

Makes them feel like chauffeured passengers in a luxury vehicle.

TruckbusUK Jul 19th, 2022 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2835021)

.... and that's why ours remained in the glovebox, just one more thing to fall out over....... little angles :eek:

Constantinos Jul 24th, 2022 21:58

Quote:

PS: for the ultimate entertainment system control, get the handheld IR remote control for the stereo. The rear seat passengers love having full remote control, where they can control everything on the stereo. Literally everything.

Can you provide a link?

Constantinos Jul 24th, 2022 21:59

Update:
I went to the car today and I removed the c pillars and I saw the wiring for the rear audio controls.
If I buy some controls and plug them in, will they just work?

Clan Jul 24th, 2022 23:30

Quote:

they were standard when new you might find one lost under the seat !

Constantinos Jul 24th, 2022 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2836064)
they were standard when new you might find one lost under the seat !

I bought the car used about 14 years ago from Cargiant so I didn’t find anything
:(

TruckbusUK Jul 25th, 2022 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2836038)
Update:
I went to the car today and I removed the c pillars and I saw the wiring for the rear audio controls.
If I buy some controls and plug them in, will they just work?

No, they need a software download by the dealer .... cost me about £60'ish about 12 years ago ... and that assumes you have the correct version for your headunit and year of XC90.

Constantinos Jul 25th, 2022 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 2836068)
No, they need a software download by the dealer .... cost me about £60'ish about 12 years ago ... and that assumes you have the correct version for your headunit and year of XC90.

Do you know if I can do the software update at home without the dealer?

TruckbusUK Jul 25th, 2022 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2836099)
Do you know if I can do the software update at home without the dealer?

No, its a dealer software load ... needs a Volvo dealer or an indi that has the licence/rights to download and install Volvo software.

Constantinos Jul 25th, 2022 12:37

Do you know What sort of head unit it needs?

TruckbusUK Jul 25th, 2022 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2836132)
Do you know What sort of head unit it needs?

As I already mentioned, there are several versions of the controls depending on Headunit/amp installed. The best check with a Volvo dealer which version is needed for your XC90.

Constantinos Aug 22nd, 2022 18:47

I’ve read somewhere that you can use Vdash to remove the security.
Is this true and if so, what would I need to get?

Harley Dave Aug 22nd, 2022 22:48

maybe...

https://d5t5.com/q-and-a/detail/42?page=4

Cheers

Dave

Constantinos Aug 23rd, 2022 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley Dave (Post 2841354)

Do you think I could use a £30 j2534 cable from AliExpress
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM6xDtK

Constantinos Aug 28th, 2022 20:54

Never mind, I found a DICE unit for a really good price so I bought it.
I'll have a try when it arrives later in the week.
Does anyone know how I would remove the security with VDASH?

XC90Mk1 Aug 28th, 2022 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2842362)
Never mind, I found a DICE unit for a really good price so I bought it.
I'll have a try when it arrives later in the week.
Does anyone know how I would remove the security with VDASH?

Are you able to remove the security? I thought security, key codes and speed limiters etc could not be removed without a subscription which the aftermarket VIDA will not have?

Constantinos Aug 29th, 2022 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2842378)
Are you able to remove the security? I thought security, key codes and speed limiters etc could not be removed without a subscription which the aftermarket VIDA will not have?

After having a look at the link from Dave, I think that it might be possible with vdash.
Here is the link again:
https://d5t5.com/q-and-a/detail/42?page=4

Constantinos Sep 19th, 2022 12:09

I finally got the dice unit.
It’s a clone but I think it would work.
Can anyone guide me on how to do it?

TruckbusUK Sep 19th, 2022 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2845902)
I finally got the dice unit.
It’s a clone but I think it would work.
Can anyone guide me on how to do it?

If you are talking about getting the controllers operational, it will still need a Volvo software download that can only be done by a Volvo dealer or a Volvo Indi with a software subscription.

XC90Mk1 Sep 19th, 2022 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 2845912)
I you are talking about geting the controllers operational, it sou still need a Volvo software download that can only be done by a Volvo dealer of a Volvo Indi with a software subscription.

Yes that was my understanding also

Constantinos Sep 19th, 2022 13:33

Is there no way to do it at home, not even to decode the cem pin and remove the securities with vdash?

TruckbusUK Sep 19th, 2022 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2845929)
Is there no way to do it at home, not even to decode the cem pin and remove the securities with vdash?

I don't believe so ... otherwise everyone would be doing it.

XC90Mk1 Sep 19th, 2022 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantinos (Post 2845929)

I understand that Vida will do it with a subscription only. If you have Vida dice it will be a copy and you won’t be able to log into Volvo server