Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: Engine Strange clicking noise poss from Turbo (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295520)

filbert Jun 8th, 2019 22:32

Strange clicking noise poss from Turbo

My diesel 2008 XC70 (170k miles) has started making an intermittent clicking/whirring noise. It has been described as sounding like a lightweight hedge trimmer.
It lasts a few seconds and happens, eg. when I unlock the car, when I open a door, in fact it seems to be triggered by any form of electrical change.
My local mechanic (not Volvo but I have found him to be sensible and reliable) thinks it is coming from the turbo 'actuator'. Some part not engaging properly.

I do get the occasional symptoms of a misfire and lack of power but very intermittent. I did get an 'engine system service urgent' warning but it went away the day when I next I used the car.

A turbo problem makes sense and the mechanic hopes to be able to replace the actuator as the hardware seems in good order.

Does his diagnosis make sense? If so, can the actuator be replaced without the main unit?

I don't really want to take it to my local Volvo dealer as they charge a *lot* more than the local guy (and he's in walking distance)

Spike56 Jun 9th, 2019 13:56

I would have thought that no engine components would be activated purely by un locking the car.... If the key is not in the ignition and switched to position 2(?) surely the only things made live would be things like folding mirrors, electric seats and the entertainment systems. Could the noise be a relay that's failing? They click and clatter when they are on the way out.. Could well sound like a noise from the engine bay area.

tonys1966 Jun 9th, 2019 18:25

relay noise

my xc70 2011 makes a fair "thunk"noise from relay a few seconds after being locked-my old v50 did the same[2008 car]

possibly the same relay noisy when activated???

tommyweaves Jun 9th, 2019 20:43

Have you had the codes read?

filbert Jun 10th, 2019 14:44

Thanks for the replies. The noise definitely comes from the engine compartment - it's the driver's side of the engine. I can't see exactly as there's too much in the way. When the car's unlocked or a door is opened, the dash instruments are activated, so it's not too much of a leap to assume that other things get turned on as well.

My guy said the codes referred to a turbo "overboost"

Marx130 Feb 6th, 2023 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by filbert (Post 2527097)
My diesel 2008 XC70 (170k miles) has started making an intermittent clicking/whirring noise. It has been described as sounding like a lightweight hedge trimmer.
It lasts a few seconds and happens, eg. when I unlock the car, when I open a door, in fact it seems to be triggered by any form of electrical change.
My local mechanic (not Volvo but I have found him to be sensible and reliable) thinks it is coming from the turbo 'actuator'. Some part not engaging properly.

I do get the occasional symptoms of a misfire and lack of power but very intermittent. I did get an 'engine system service urgent' warning but it went away the day when I next I used the car.

A turbo problem makes sense and the mechanic hopes to be able to replace the actuator as the hardware seems in good order.

Does his diagnosis make sense? If so, can the actuator be replaced without the main unit?

I don't really want to take it to my local Volvo dealer as they charge a *lot* more than the local guy (and he's in walking distance)

I can confirm, this is turbo geometry actuator which makes the sound (I saw it myself checking from under the car). It seems energised for a second when open a door or unlock the car. Is it normal- I don't know!!!
I got the same problem recently, but the main problem is loss of power above 2500revs and I was looking for split hose. Found it could be the turbo resonator, but have not changed it yet. So please keep posting if the change of the actuator did some difference, and I will post will the turbo hose solve the problem.

Marx130 Apr 3rd, 2023 11:51

So, turbo actuator finally went totally bad (very loud and affected the performance) and was replaced. No more strange sounds, no bad hoses, and good performance back.

Clan Apr 3rd, 2023 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by filbert (Post 2527097)

It should be easy to locate the area of the sound... If it comes from the top of the gearbox area it could be the throttle flap motor gears stripped, it does happen..

Glad you found the cause !