Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : Disabling Daylight running lights (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87621)

mrgreen Jan 11th, 2010 21:14

Disabling Daylight running lights

Apologies if this is a well worn path- I suspect it might be. Have just acquired a V50 drivE which I'm very pleased with. I'd like to disable the DRL though. Can this only be done through a dealer? Thanks for any advice!

Clan Jan 11th, 2010 21:19

yes it can with a chargable software but why? Its a well proved safety device proved by voilvo over the last 34 years ,, you will need to tell your insurance too ...

moggy82 Jan 12th, 2010 09:20

Dont bother, if you then turn your lights on which you will have to now your headlamp washers will go all the time, leaving it in DRL mode they dont go off and will save you the money in screenwash which you can then spend on bulbs and still make a saving

NewVolvo Jan 12th, 2010 09:27

DRL's will be mandatory from 2011 anyway.

Clan Jan 12th, 2010 09:41

you should get an aveage of 2 years from the bulbs assuming you use the car a lot its no big hardship replacing both bulbs every 2 years , when your first bulb goes , go to the dealer and get 2 genuine volvo long life bulbs and change both . You will be ok for around 2 years then

If you go somewhere else and get standard bulbs you will change the faulty one , all ok ... then a month later the other one will go .. , then 6 monhs later the first one you changed will go , then 6 months later the second one you changed will go , and so on ... and you will be cursing that you are " always changing the headlamp bulbs " ....

fenton_jd Jan 13th, 2010 01:37

I have very bright cluster LEDs as sidelights, and those are sufficient as DRL's. I dont want my headlamps on 24 hours a day, as i spent time and effort with subtle tinting on my front lights, and this cannot be seen with my headlamps on.

Using dipped beam as DRL is just a bad design.

Those orange 'parking lights' on the side of volvo's are bright enough as DRL's. Add sidelights to the mix and people are going to see you. Add DRL dipped beam and its overkill.

Harvey1512 Jan 13th, 2010 09:51

Fenton, I quite agree with you here. A cluster of LED lights is all that is required as it serves the purpose of highlighting where you are to other drivers. Audi have got it spot on with their LED DRL. It looks great, it saves your dipped lights and it gives the range a signature.

andycallaghan Jan 13th, 2010 09:55

I drive with my lights on all the time.
It doesn't use more fuel, won't cause any problems with battery really, and will cost about £20 every couple of years on bulbs.
It's worth being seen, especially at this time of year.

Also, I'm sure that heaven forbid you were in an accident, it would prove favourable in your direction that you had headlights on (within reason of course).

Volvo2B Jan 14th, 2010 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgreen (Post 611544)
Apologies if this is a well worn path- I suspect it might be. Have just acquired a V50 drivE which I'm very pleased with. I'd like to disable the DRL though. Can this only be done through a dealer? Thanks for any advice!

Hi there, I had my S40 D5 DRLs disabled by the dealer, my view being I can't be seen in the summer driving with sunglasses whilst the lights are permanently on!! ;-)

A few years ago whilst I was in my V50, I was once asked in the summer by an Audi driver at the traffic lights to turn off my lights.....I return his kind suggestion with...."Its a Volvo!" Funny hey that Audi and most cars these days have adapted the DRL approach.

Regarding fuel economy, I have noticed losing a few MPG when running with DRLs. That may be due to the recent weather, but I look forward to running DRLs (with and without) on a tank full of fuel in better weather and see what range the car delivers.

Harvey1512 Jan 14th, 2010 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo2B (Post 613076)

A few years ago whilst I was in my V50, I was once asked in the summer by an Audi driver at the traffic lights to turn off my lights.....I return his kind suggestion with...."Its a Volvo!" Funny hey that Audi and most cars these days have adapted the DRL approach.

Regarding fuel economy, I have noticed losing a few MPG when running with DRLs. That may be due to the recent weather, but I look forward to running DRLs (with and without) on a tank full of fuel in better weather and see what range the car delivers.

I lose 3-5mpg in the winter on fuel economy so bear that in mind. You will get a better comparison from the Spring onwards.

I too am fed up with people telling me my lights are on. I knew before getting my Volvo that the lights are always on Swedish cars, Volvo & Saab, so why do sooooo many others not. There are also a load of other cars that do the same now. I don't object to the DRL but I do object to annoying people smugly telling me my lights are on. (this rant has not been helped by the desperate England score from SA, I am not calm)