Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   WiFi Tethering iPhone (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286262)

pdhv40 Sep 9th, 2018 10:04

WiFi Tethering iPhone

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm I’m not missing a trick.

When I tether with Bluetooth it connects automatically and within a few seconds I am connected to the internet.

However, when using WiFi tethering (as you can’t use Bluetooth with AppleCarPlay) I have to go into the hotspot setting in the iPhone every time, it then takes a short while and connects to the internet, after that, I can carry on using it with the screen off for all my journey.

Is this other people’s experience with WiFi tethering and iPhone or does anyone have hints on connecting automatically without having to go into settings every time?

The hotspot is turned on but seems to go to go into suspend until you go into settings.

Thanks in advance

nu11eaf Sep 9th, 2018 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdhv40 (Post 2446049)
Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm I’m not missing a trick.

When I tether with Bluetooth it connects automatically and within a few seconds I am connected to the internet.

However, when using WiFi tethering (as you can’t use Bluetooth with AppleCarPlay) I have to go into the hotspot setting in the iPhone every time, it then takes a short while and connects to the internet, after that, I can carry on using it with the screen off for all my journey.

Is this other people’s experience with WiFi tethering and iPhone or does anyone have hints on connecting automatically without having to go into settings every time?

The hotspot is turned on but seems to go to go into suspend until you go into settings.

Thanks in advance

Its an iphone thing, android phones usually stay tethered, but battery runs down quick if left on.
Go to post #5 on this thread for an answer.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...wifi+tethering

pdhv40 Sep 9th, 2018 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2446059)
Its an iphone thing, android phones usually stay tethered, but battery runs down quick if left on.

Thanks, I assumed that was the case but good to have a second opinion.

I’ve just ordered a 3 24gb/24 month data SIM for £42 so I’ll just use the in built WiFi which will hopefully be more streamlined

WhatNext? Sep 9th, 2018 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2446059)

Not strictly correct. Most newer devices (last 2-3 years) turn off WiFi tethering if there is no devices connected after some time. But very much depend on your manufacturer. (Google Pixel for sure does)

You can add a WiFi quick toggle on most Android (so easy access notification shade), but you can also use NFC or run an app (such as Tasker to automatically do this every time your phone connect to your car's Bluetooth)

pdhv40 Sep 9th, 2018 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke69 (Post 2446093)
Not strictly correct. Most newer devices (last 2-3 years) turn off WiFi tethering if there is no devices connected after some time. But very much depend on your manufacturer. (Google Pixel for sure does)

You can add a WiFi quick toggle on most Android (so easy access notification shade), but you can also use NFC or run an app (such as Tasker to automatically do this every time your phone connect to your car's Bluetooth)

Problem is when connected to AppleCarPlay Bluetooth isn’t used as it overrides the Bluetooth functionality

nu11eaf Sep 9th, 2018 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke69 (Post 2446093)

Yes I was going to add my new Samsung phone turns off tethering but my older samsung phones stayed on but to keep it short I just put "usually" and a link to the other thread.

lalith16 Sep 9th, 2018 15:52

I too don’t think it is an iPhone thing. My laptop tethers automatically with my iPhone X over wifi as soon as my laptop turns on. However, my car doesn’t tether automatically over wifi as soon as I start the car although the hotspot is already switched on in my phone’s settings. To make it work, as the OP stated, I have to go into my iPhone’s hotspot setting, then switch it off, then back on again before the connection is established.

T4ylor Sep 9th, 2018 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdhv40 (Post 2446072)
Thanks, I assumed that was the case but good to have a second opinion.

I’ve just ordered a 3 24gb/24 month data SIM for £42 so I’ll just use the in built WiFi which will hopefully be more streamlined

I am getting my new car on Friday and was looking at this sim also from Amazon. My question is how long would people expect 24gb to last under everyday usage. I am not so much talking about Spotify streaming but more of RTTI?

Thanks

pdhv40 Sep 9th, 2018 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4ylor (Post 2446202)
I am getting my new car on Friday and was looking at this sim also from Amazon. My question is how long would people expect 24gb to last under everyday usage. I am not so much talking about Spotify streaming but more of RTTI?

Thanks

I ordered mine from 7dayshop. If it’s just RTTI then the data usage is negligible, it’s only a few Mb so if you’re just using it for that I’d imagine you’ll still have data left after 24 months.

I will be using mine for Spotify too but should be enough as assume it caches played songs

Roosterb Sep 9th, 2018 19:29

My 12 GB card expired this week after 12 months with approx 2 GB still on it.