Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon B20 Engine bay (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298565)

JP 1800 Sep 14th, 2019 10:06

Amazon B20 Engine bay

I am looking for some detailed pictures of an Amazon B20 engine bay, I am interested as to where the ignition coil is located, also would anyone have a detailed diagram of the horn button wiring on the same car.

Thanks

simonvolvo Sep 15th, 2019 14:46

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of mine - B20, late model (1970), RHD. Also a copy of a page from the parts catalogue, but that shows the arrangement for a LHD car it seems.

The ignition coil lies horizontal, underneath the battery and brake booster mounting. It is mounted in a strap which is bolted to the fire wall (as shown in the parts catalogue - the small drawing on the right, second from the top - but then the other way round).

Routing of the horn wire: from where it comes out of the steering box it runs up the front wall (on the right hand side of the radiator, behind the expansion bottle - not shown in the pic), then along the top of the radiator (together with some other wires) to the left hand side of the radiator, and from there down again and through an opening in the front wall, where it is connected to one of the terminals of the horn. The other horn terminal is connected to the fuse box (switched 12 volt). In other words, the one terminal of the horn carries 12 volt all the time, whenever the ignition switch is on. Actuating the horn switch completes the circuit to earth.

Clan Sep 15th, 2019 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonvolvo (Post 2554033)
Here are some pictures of mine - B20, late model (1970), RHD. Also a copy of a page from the parts catalogue, but that shows the arrangement for a LHD car it seems.

The ignition coil lies horizontal, underneath the battery and brake booster mounting. It is mounted in a strap which is bolted to the fire wall (as shown in the parts catalogue - the small drawing on the right, second from the top - but then the other way round).

Routing of the horn wire: from where it comes out of the steering box it runs up the front wall (on the right hand side of the radiator, behind the expansion bottle - not shown in the pic), then along the top of the radiator (together with some other wires) to the left hand side of the radiator, and from there down again and through an opening in the front wall, where it is connected to one of the terminals of the horn. The other horn terminal is connected to the fuse box (switched 12 volt). In other words, the one terminal of the horn carries 12 volt all the time, whenever the ignition switch is on. Actuating the horn switch completes the circuit to earth.

Didn't the 120 series have the secure armoured coil on the bulkhead linked directly to the ignition switch ?

JP 1800 Sep 15th, 2019 16:17

Thanks for the useful information, I located the live for the coil but could not figure where it was mounted. I am wondering if there is a diagram for the horn button on the later cars, ie a diagram of how the horn button is assembled. With regards the coil, on the earlier cars and lhd the coil is mounted into the bulkhead, on the later rhd cars the mounting point is obstructed by the brake servo assembly

Tail Sep 16th, 2019 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2554044)
Didn't the 120 series have the secure armoured coil on the bulkhead linked directly to the ignition switch ?

Early ones did but later ones just had it on a bracket on the bulkhead :)

Alf ista Sep 22nd, 2019 20:16

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. Very late model 1970, B20A, left hand drive. Apart from the different air filter, I reckon this is pretty original. You can see the coil up on the bulkhead in its special holder. Hope that helps.
Hugh.

classicswede Sep 23rd, 2019 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2554044)

B18 yes - B20 no