Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Auto box oil pan (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307709)

Volvoluke Jul 8th, 2020 21:02

Auto box oil pan

Hi Everyone I'm needing to take the oil pan off the auto box of a 1997 940. Looking online I'm struggling to find the correct gasket does anyone have the part number? I believe/assume it to be an AW/71 gearbox

Laird Scooby Jul 9th, 2020 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvoluke (Post 2645862)
Hi Everyone I'm needing to take the oil pan off the auto box of a 1997 940. Looking online I'm struggling to find the correct gasket does anyone have the part number? I believe/assume it to be an AW/71 gearbox

At the risk of asking the obvious, how do you know it's the wrong gasket online if you don't know what gearbox you have? :thinking:

First thin you need to do is crawl underneath with a torch and check what the ID plate says.

Question is, why do you need to take the sump pan off?

360beast Jul 9th, 2020 10:28

An easier way to tell what gearbox it is is to check on the vin plate.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_900.shtml

I'm sure some gasket paper and some sealant will do the job fine so you can make your own gasket.

Volvoluke Jul 9th, 2020 16:44

Thanks for the replies, vin says it an aw 'lock up'. Reason for dropping is its developed a humming noise which I assume is a blocked filter screen

taiwan740 Jul 9th, 2020 18:25

Is the fluid the right level?

Definitely not the fuel pump?

Volvoluke Jul 9th, 2020 19:03

Yes fluids the right level, I'm certain the sound is coming from the transmission

Laird Scooby Jul 9th, 2020 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvoluke (Post 2646050)
Thanks for the replies, vin says it an aw 'lock up'. Reason for dropping is its developed a humming noise which I assume is a blocked filter screen

First of all, have you checked the fluid level?

Second, what colour is the fluid? Please don't just say "red" - get a piece of plain white kitchen roll (or toilet roll if you don't have kitchen roll) and fold it over so it absorbs the fluid. Check the level hot after a run of at least 5 miles and let some fluid drip onto the tissue/roll.

Wait until it's soaked in before you judge the colour.

Third, is the humming engine speed related, road speed related or constant? Does it alter as you go on and off the throttle at a fairly constant speed?

Fourth, when you first start the car from cold and put the selector lever into a gear, does it go straight in (anything up to about half a second delay) with a cushioned thud, does it sit there and eventually get itself in gear or does it come in with a bang after a couple or more seconds?

Fifth, are you losing any fluid out of the rear extension housing seal?

I'll think of the sixth etc once i have the answers to those! :thumbs_up:

Laird Scooby Jul 9th, 2020 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvoluke (Post 2646077)
Yes fluids the right level, I'm certain the sound is coming from the transmission

What method do you use to check the fluid?

Volvoluke Jul 9th, 2020 21:23

So the fluid is a brown to red colour it was once very dark brown. By draining and refilling I have improved this. Fluid level is spot on with no leaks. As for operation it is faultless hot or cold the transmission operates perfectly non of the usual signs of a bad box. I have always checked the fluid as the cars original owners manual instructs you using the hot method. The noise is present when engine speed is low and especially at a standstill. It can also appear when shifting into park. I have changed the oil again recently which has made the noise less noticeable. I am convinced it is a semi blocked filter screen. I'm almost tempted to try another drain and fill before removing the sump as it is quite a big job on my model year. Thanks 👍

Laird Scooby Jul 9th, 2020 22:05

What ATF have you used and do you have any idea what was in there before you started a program of part-changes?