Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   "Theatre"/"Ambient" lighting (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267095)

NickV90 Apr 28th, 2017 09:13

"Theatre"/"Ambient" lighting

So newbie question. With a Momentum spec V90, what exactly is the theatre/ambient lighting? There is a control on the centre screen that adjusts the brightness. But I cannot see any difference.

On my CRV I had small lights above the centre console to cast a glow, and blue lights in the door pockets.

On the V90 I haven't noticed such subtle lighting (although the cup holders and centre console are lit, that doesn't seem to change with the control)

Cheers
Nick

S90 Apr 28th, 2017 09:27

There are 2 LEDs in the ceiling lighting modules that cast colour onto the centre console and the rear armrest area, these are the only 2 that change colour.

S90 Apr 28th, 2017 09:29

How, I don't think the Momentum spec has these fitted. Do you have the option to change the colour??

Also, the internal ambient lighting only comes on when the interior of the car is dark enough. To override this place something over the sun sensor on the dash at the base of the windscreen.

The ambient lighting is not mega bright as on the new Mercedes models which look like a strip joint inside lol

NickHoward Apr 28th, 2017 09:30

You have to wait until it's darker than deep space before you actually see it.

I think "blue" is the default - It shines down onto the gear stick at night.

It fills me with unending joy......

Quacker Apr 28th, 2017 09:46

Its so subtle that it might as well not exist. On competing vehicles such as the RR Sport or Jaguar, the footwell lights and others all change colour to totally change the interior mood. Even my Qashqai has strips behind the centre console that give different colour glow.

Its a gimmick, but since they advertise it, it surely could be more effective than it is on the Volvo. On the other hand, the current set-up is in line with the tasteful understated elegance of the cabin and perhaps more garish colours would be unsuitable. Either way, its not something that I'm bothered with because I do like the current setup, both interior and on the door handles when they are remotely unlocked. I think its great.

S90 Apr 28th, 2017 09:49

I concur with Quacker. like I said, the new range of Mercedes are revolting inside when the ambient is on, way too much and everywhere, including behind the dual screens which to me is distracting.

Volvo's use is nice and in fitting with the cars simplistic interior.

familymangreg Apr 28th, 2017 09:54

I too concur. To be honest I haven't been in another car at night with ambient, but I wouldn't want anything brighter than the XC90. I've tweaked mine, and I think have the brightness up to the max, but that's just nice. I was actually passenger in the 3 series tourer the other night, and what stood out after getting used toe the ambient lighting in the Volvo was how dark the 3 series seemed below the window line!

I think the subtle lighting in the XC90 is absolutely in keeping with the rest of the interior, I doesn't need ultra bright LEDs in different colours, who does.

:wq

NickV90 Apr 28th, 2017 10:27

No there is no change colour on the options list on a Momentum. But if it has to be pitch black to come on that might explain why I haven't seen it!

Thanks
Nick

Frosty May 1st, 2017 15:51

I have the purple set on mine with the Amber leather seems to be the best combination. The kids chose the colour having been through each, nice subtle hint that works well.

Murph7355 May 2nd, 2017 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 2269322)
I have the purple set on mine with the Amber leather seems to be the best combination. The kids chose the colour having been through each, nice subtle hint that works well.

Ditto all the way. I only tried purple as a laugh and it actually works really nicely.