Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   General: Power Steering Boot Clip (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285355)

Andy663 Aug 16th, 2018 19:30

Power Steering Boot Clip

1 Attachment(s)
2003 S80 2.4 petrol Auto
Hi, It looks like a clip has come off one of my Power Steering Boots, it's located directly behind the wheel. What is the clip called and is it easy to fit?

Pic attached.

thanks

ma70 Aug 16th, 2018 19:49

Looks like the rack boot to me, not sure it should have fluid contained in it though, hope the rack isn't leaking!

Dancake Aug 16th, 2018 20:50

It does look like there may be some moisture coming from the rack which isn't a good sign. The clip in question is commonly referred to as a self clamping spring clip/clamp, manufactured by Mikalor. They are handy enough to replace in most instances, although it's sometimes necessary to remove the track rod end in order to be able to fit the clip without damaging it.

oragex Aug 16th, 2018 20:53

1 Attachment(s)
Is this a new purchase? There should be a spring clip or water gets inside, the rack bar rusts and the rack starts leaking - see above comment

Edit, seems already been answered

pookie Aug 16th, 2018 21:26

Use a cable tie. Job done!

Salut!
Pookie

Andy663 Aug 16th, 2018 21:37

The fluid is lleaking from there. The boot on the other side has a clip securing it, I don't see one on the leaking side. I don't know if the boot has slipped over the track rod end adjusting bolt?

oragex Aug 17th, 2018 02:10

The boot is pushed a little out, but you may need a new rack, not an easy job

Clan Aug 17th, 2018 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pookie (Post 2438170)
Use a cable tie. Job done!

Salut!
Pookie

a cable tie cannot exert enough pressure to seal a hard plastic boot ...

Clan Aug 17th, 2018 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy663 (Post 2438130)
2003 S80 2.4 petrol Auto
Hi, It looks like a clip has come off one of my Power Steering Boots, it's located directly behind the wheel. What is the clip called and is it easy to fit?

Pic attached.

thanks

somebody has replaced the boot for some reason ( probably due to the leakage ! ) and forgotten to fit the clip , your rack is leaking internally and the pressure has pushed the boot too far down the shaft , looks like you will need a new rack sooner or later ..

oragex Aug 17th, 2018 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2438267)
a cable tie cannot exert enough pressure to seal a hard plastic boot ...

+1

When I bought my S60, it had a cable tie installed at the inner end (larger end) of the boot. By curiosity I removed it to inspect inside the boot. Sure enough the rack rod was starting to rust! Got it just in time (this is how these racks die, water/humidity leaks inside the boot from poor clamps or torn boot, the rack rod surface starts to rust, the rust eats on the seals, the seals starts leaking - non replaceable = new rack).

Plus, a cable tie might expand/become brittle with the temperature, how can one be sure it seals properly in winter days when the boot is covered with ice or salt?

These boots are secured with oetiker clamps for a reason at the inner end and with spring clamps at the outer end, if I remember well, both are a very tight type of clamps.