Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1998 V70 2.3 T5 ABS codes? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311071)

NewbieV70T5 Oct 21st, 2020 18:32

1998 V70 2.3 T5 ABS codes?

Hi gents,

Well progress update on my 263K T5.

It's been at the garage for 3 weeks and has now got its MOT! I've completed the following:

Front discs and pads
Rear discs and pads plus handbrake shoes
Brake fluid change
Engine oil and filter
Spark plugs
Air/fuel/pollen filters
4 new 205/50/16 tyres

She drives amazing!

No faults on the ECU but two codes on the ABS module without any further description:

Code 70
Code 77

There is no ABS light on the cluster, but what I have noticed is intermittently when you press the brake pedal at low speeds coming to a standstill you can hear the ABS pump working and a pulsing through your pedal.

Any idea what these codes are on a V70 Phase 1?

Thanks all,

Ray

SteveSarre Oct 21st, 2020 18:48

Hi Newbie

Which code reader did you use? I dont think those numbers are generic OBD codes.

A cheap Bluetooth dongle (less than 7 pounds) and the free Torque app on your Android phone will read your codes through the OBD port.

Various things might be causing the ABS system to kick in.
My first guess would be the reluctor rings (toothed rings that sit between the CV joint and the wheel bearing). These get corroded and chipped and then the sensor cannot work out the wheel speed and the ABS kicks in.
If you get down there you might be able to assess their condition.

The rings are cheap but they are a bit difficult to change.

HTH
Steve

SteveSarre Oct 21st, 2020 19:05

Hi Newbie,

Sorry I should have asked. Does your ABS light light up when you turn the ignition on (before starting the engine)?

Then when you drive off, you should hear a slight ABS buzz when you reach about 15 mph which is the ABS self test. Does that happen?

Steve

NewbieV70T5 Oct 21st, 2020 19:11

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response. Answers below:

- Autel full dealer level diagnostic kit. This is a secondary system my friend uses against his Autologic. It did not read any P codes on this car, just P70 and P77.

- Yes, the ABS light comes on at ignition and then disappears as expected.

Thanks

Volvofreak2 Oct 21st, 2020 19:40

Hej Ray,
had the same Problem with my 850 last year. The codes should be something like ABS-211 to 214. Interesting is, that the ABS-light doesn't come on. In my case it came on, when accelerating over 15 mph first time after enginestart. This is, because the system provides a selftest after restart. Anyway, I had the forward sensors out, because I overhault the front axle. And, when I tryed, to get the sensors out, after 25 years, I probably killed them. The rings came new, during overhaul. First testdrive, rattling ABS, when coming slowly to stillstand. And sometimes, not always ABS and Trackslight on. Ok, the sensors where dead. As those are no more deliverable by Volvo, I got some from Skandix. Put them in, same problem. That was pretty mean cause, if you install a brandnew part, you think its ok, but those didn't solve the problem. A friend finally gave me the correct ohm values, the sensor should have and well, the Skandix sensors turn out to be brandnew junk! :angry_smile: Put in two used ones and job done! :cool:
Ok, long story short sense, check the rings and the sensors.

Gernot

NewbieV70T5 Oct 21st, 2020 20:08

Thanks for the info!

We have just changed the discs and pads...I am assuming there can be no connection between that job and this new issue....

Volvofreak2 Oct 21st, 2020 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewbieV70T5 (Post 2674968)
Thanks for the info!

We have just changed the discs and pads...I am assuming there can be no connection between that job and this new issue....

Should not. Exept you somehow damaged the wirering of the sensor, during the process!

NewbieV70T5 Oct 21st, 2020 20:42

I wouldn't have thought so. The garage is run by a friend of mine and has been servicing my cars for almost two decades.

I have read online about an ABS ECU fault which is common on these, with fault 70 being down to a pump motor fault signal/intermittent/permanent.

Anyone had their ABS ECU rebuilt? This model is listed on ECU Testing (who were amazing on my Stilo Abarth ECU).

Volvofreak2 Oct 21st, 2020 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewbieV70T5 (Post 2674978)
I wouldn't have thought so. The garage is run by a friend of mine and has been servicing my cars for almost two decades.

I have read online about an ABS ECU fault which is common on these, with fault 70 being down to a pump motor fault signal/intermittent/permanent.

Anyone had their ABS ECU rebuilt? This model is listed on ECU Testing (who were amazing on my Stilo Abarth ECU).

Before you waste money unnessesarily, get the correct codes!

NewbieV70T5 Oct 21st, 2020 21:29

I got from here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=81259