Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   D5 query? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=188314)

MattV70 Sep 10th, 2013 20:03

D5 query?

I have an on going issue with my 2005 D5 v70 auto in that I'm having constant DPF issues....
I've managed to rule out the actual dpf being at fault and think its down to an issue with the engine producing to much black smoke and clogging the dpf.
I can go for a 20 minute motorway drive at high revs in limp mode which will regen the dpf and give me about 2 days worth of running about before I have problems again.. Poor performance, poor starting and in limp mode.
I've replaced the dpf pressure sensor, all connecting pipes are clear, new egr valve, intercooler s ok, no problems with the pcv valve, all injectors have been tested and working fine ( 1 did need replacing )

So my question is could anybody shed some light onto possible other troubles?

Should say the only fault codes I'm getting are when the dpf is clogged, none after a regen?.

It has been suggested that the glow plugs could be at fault as the engine uses these when a regen takes place?

Cheers for any input

Matt

TiredGeek Sep 10th, 2013 20:47

I think you're going to need a DICE to check the ash content inside the DPF, it may be blocked beyond what a regen can remove.
A DICE can also do the dealer regen mode that is the last resort before replacing it.

Glow plugs used during regen - new one on me, I thought it just squirted diesel into the cylinders on the exhaust cycle so the burning fuel raised the temp of the gases and that's what burns up the carbon deposits.... though it may use the glow worms as well...

A regen shouldn't need high revs or anything like that. Just a normal drive at normal speeds for half an hour or so. Personally I'd drive 30 mins down the motorway at 60 or so then turn round and go home, so it's had an hour just to be on the safe side.

Good luck :)

Bill_56 Sep 11th, 2013 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredGeek (Post 1480724)
Glow plugs used during regen - new one on me, I thought it just squirted diesel into the cylinders on the exhaust cycle so the burning fuel raised the temp of the gases and that's what burns up the carbon deposits....

The glow plugs are activated to increase engine load, which in turn raises exhaust temperature.

All sorts of other shenanigans go an as well, such as closing the throttle to reduce airflow (thus the hot gasses stay in the DPF longer), and of course temporarily tuning the software to compensate for all thes things so that, for given throttle opening, the car's reaction feels much the same as usual.

Strongly agree that 'normal driving' at out of town speeds is all it takes, and higher revs or higher speeds won't help, providing all is in working order. Mine used to complete a regen in about 20 minutes or so at 40-50 mph on 'B' roads.

chiptivo Sep 11th, 2013 14:06

Tesco Diesel by any chance?

MattV70 Sep 11th, 2013 14:35

Thanks for the input fellas, going to check the glow plugs later if the rain holds off, thought it made sense that they would be used during a regen,

Tesco fuel you say? I do normally fill up at at station with tesco express on?

MattV70 Sep 19th, 2013 12:21

Right it's been a week since I replaced all glowplugs as none of them worked...
The car seemed far happier going for a drive straight afterwards to regen the DPF, dpf regened and I've had a week of day to day use with no complaints until today when the soot filter light came back on and back in limp, so it seems the glow plugs have made a difference in that I now get a week between regents as apposed to a day or two, but I'm still stuck as to what is causing the dpf to fill up so quickly?
The car also hasn't improved in mpg's and is still averaging around 25.
The scanner still only flags dpf ash accumulation high with no other faults?

Any help?..

Thanks Matt

coughlanc Sep 19th, 2013 13:05

When was the car last serviced ? Is your air filter clean and are you using the correct grade engine oil ?

MattV70 Sep 19th, 2013 13:44

Serviced about 3 months ago, using castrol 0/30, there is a sound like its sucking in air but was told its just from when the egr is open, air filter new and is clean

coughlanc Sep 19th, 2013 14:01

Have you checked your intercooler and associated pipework ? That noise could be charged air escaping. This would cause excessive smoke.
Just an idea.

outnumbered Sep 19th, 2013 14:22

H Matt
i ca not help with the re gen issues as i have not had any faults yet with mine, and as and when this monster gives me the slightest isues it will be mapped out.
i have noticed on mine that every so often on idle i get a bellowing sound possibly Egr.(No Cows).
at the moment i am new to this type of engine and its issues .
sorry i can not be of more help.
Has Tim any thoughts on this.
mike