Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Can you buy an everyday car that will increase in value ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275625)

Prufrock Dec 2nd, 2017 21:06

Can you buy an everyday car that will increase in value ?

Ok, A subject close to my heart, and one discussed on this forum in the past.

These selections come from the Daily Telegraph, so don't get excited, not my opinion. Suggest comments on this selection or post your own.

In no particular order -

Audi A2
Audi TT Mk1
Bentley Continental GT
Citroen XM
Citroen C6
Ford Focus Mk1
Ford Capri
Lexus LS400
Mini (BMW) Mk1
Rover 75
Saab 900 (original).

Jon

volvoid Dec 2nd, 2017 21:41

Anything bought at banger money but still good has a chance, especially if not many were sold in the first place.
My guesses

Audi TT
Mazda MX5
Ford - anything blue oval and 30 years old is shooting up in price, blue-collar has money these days.
VW especially Golf, only good unmolested low mileage ones, not boy-racered bangers.
BMWs - when bought below £1000 and in good condition - theres a rarity.

iain cooper Dec 2nd, 2017 21:54

so that includes my 1987 Golf gti, 80k miles, bought new by myself, no rust and been sorned/garaged since 2000 ?

Iain

john.wigley Dec 2nd, 2017 22:04

I suppose it depends upon how you define 'everyday', Jon. To my way of thinking, while the Mini may qualify, the Bentley does not.

I think if you are prepared to keep it over an extended period and look after it, almost any car will appreciate in value. As an example, I sold my 1983 245GLT for £475 in 1995, I think it was. In good condition, it would probably make circa £2000 today.

Some will naturally appreciate faster than others; I think 1980s Mercedes would be a safe bet, but one only has to scan the classifieds in the likes of 'Classic Car Weekly' to see examples of most makes.

Regards. John.

biggbn Dec 2nd, 2017 22:11

What a great question! Will cogitate whilst at work and come up with a list.

Sasha94 Dec 2nd, 2017 22:21

I’m hoping my Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG falls into that category, I’m hoping it will at least hold the money I paid for it over the next few years. By that point I’m also hoping the Continental GT doesn’t start to climb over the next 3 years as that’s what I’d like next. They have been about £20k as a start point for about 4 years and I’m still seeing decent ones for about £25k so it’s one of them I’m after following the Benz as it’s really given me the want to have an even more special super coupe after I’ve had my fun with that :)

GrahamBrown1 Dec 2nd, 2017 22:32

Not really an everyday car but recently I saw a loverly Aston Martin DB7 for sale for 20k low miles well cared for. It’s an old car now but I can see prices rising for sure. If I had storage I would consider purchasing something like that as an investment.

owyn Dec 2nd, 2017 22:59

Porsche 911's all seem to bottom out and then climb, the 993's are into plenty of money now. The collectors currently sneer at the 996 but I bet they start gaining cash soon.

Looking back the one that stands out is the old Z3M coupe, they are silly money now, very rare, a bit odd looking but very cool.

Everything I think about that could be contender now seems to be common as hell due to all sorts of lease deals, also there is no real exclusivity in being fast anymore, everything is flipping rapid.

john.wigley Dec 3rd, 2017 07:06

Thinking about it over-night, are not the last Land Rover Defenders likely to have considerable investment potential? One only has to look at what good 'Series' examples change hands for today!

With interest rates the way they are, the notion of owning any vehicle that one can not only enjoy, but which will also show one a modest return, is not an unattractive one.

Regards, John.

id5 Dec 3rd, 2017 07:35

Good luck with finding good examples of the majority of those cars at banger prices, I think that all you will find is bangers. Even a badly restored Capri fetches above £5,000. Top end, one owner, unadulterated are over £15,000.

One that is missing that is still relatively cheap, if you can find one that is that could be brought up to concours, a Vauxhall Nova.