Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   New Volvo XC90 T8 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300592)

DJC1979 Nov 15th, 2019 09:40

New Volvo XC90 T8

I am new to the Volvo brand and have recently purchased an XC90 T8 R Design Pro (which is being delivered next week) after having a nightmre with Land Rover.

I am wondering if there any tips / advice you can give on owning this car as I have never had a hybrid before.

Thanks for your help.

TimNiceBut Nov 15th, 2019 10:09

Get Zap map for "out and about" charging. It'll tell you where you can charge for free or cheap among other things.

Did you opt for the Type 2 cable as opposed to the supplied charger? If so, buy a home charge point. This can be a 3 pin plug one, which will take maybe 3 1/2 hours to charge the hybrid battery from empty, or a dedicated one with either a tethered cable or socket. You get a £500 government grant for this. I opted for a 7.2kW charge point even though my XC60 only charges at 3.6kW or so, to add a little future proofing.

Remember your ABC - Always Be Charging!

DJC1979 Nov 15th, 2019 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut (Post 2572097)
Get Zap map for "out and about" charging. It'll tell you where you can charge for free or cheap among other things.

Did you opt for the Type 2 cable as opposed to the supplied charger? If so, buy a home charge point. This can be a 3 pin plug one, which will take maybe 3 1/2 hours to charge the hybrid battery from empty, or a dedicated one with either a tethered cable or socket. You get a £500 government grant for this. I opted for a 7.2kW charge point even though my XC60 only charges at 3.6kW or so, to add a little future proofing.

Remember your ABC - Always Be Charging!

Thank for the reply and advice. I have opted for the Type 2 cable but I was not aware of the grants so will take a look into that today. I will also look at the 'Zap Map' which I pressume is an app? My normal daily commute is under 20 miles so will remember the ABC in order to hopefully be using Electric only.

TimNiceBut Nov 15th, 2019 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJC1979 (Post 2572101)
Thank for the reply and advice. I have opted for the Type 2 cable but I was not aware of the grants so will take a look into that today. I will also look at the 'Zap Map' which I pressume is an app? My normal daily commute is under 20 miles so will remember the ABC in order to hopefully be using Electric only.

It might be worth speaking to your home electricity supplier. Some of them have deals with Charge Point suppliers and can offer you a discount or a cheaper rate on some public charge points.

Yes, Zap Map is a smartphone app which covers the charge points in the British Isles and maybe further afield. A lot of the charge points have their own apps too, which are worth getting so you can use their points easily without carrying around multiple RFID tags.