Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1800: What does this damaged capacitor do?? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314026)

ChasesDragons Feb 5th, 2021 11:25

What does this damaged capacitor do??

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I have a rough running P1800E. Going over all probabilities, I noticed a capacitor beside the ignition coil. Its wiring is torn off, I cannot see where it might attach to.

Could you Bright sparks (ahaha, yes, sorry) have a look at this pic and tell me what it is, what it does and where I should attach it, please?

powen1 Feb 5th, 2021 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasesDragons (Post 2706939)
Hi all,
I have a rough running P1800E. Going over all probabilities, I noticed a capacitor beside the ignition coil. Its wiring is torn off, I cannot see where it might attach to.

Could you Bright sparks (ahaha, yes, sorry) have a look at this pic and tell me what it is, what it does and where I should attach it, please?

Nothing if not connected ! from the old days I think this was use to suppress noise on the car radio from the coil :-) I'm sure someone will know more

SwissXC90 Feb 5th, 2021 12:07

It's to help suppress the transient voltage spikes that occur when the distributor points are opened, and thus helps suppress radio noise

It helps to prolong the life of the distributor points by reducing arc-over and flashing.

ChasesDragons Feb 5th, 2021 12:28

Thank you, both,

I am sure this was wired a while ago. I need to find where It was wired to and install it.

Do you think this will influence smooth running, even if the points are serviceable?

Zebster Feb 5th, 2021 12:46

I have no idea if this applies to your ignition system, but on certain systems the condenser/capacitor used to electrically 'shunt' the distributor points does more than just provide RF suppression and protect the points from getting damaged by arcing... it also improves the coil circuit performance and hence gives a better spark.

ChasesDragons Feb 5th, 2021 13:01

Thank you that sounds like a potential reason why my car is being silly.

Does anyone know what the specifications for this part, might be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2706983)
I have no idea if this applies to your ignition system, but on certain systems the condenser/capacitor used to electrically 'shunt' the distributor points does more than just provide RF suppression and protect the points from getting damaged by arcing... it also improves the coil circuit performance and hence gives a better spark.

SwissXC90 Feb 5th, 2021 14:31

In the "old days" you could buy them from any garage.

A lot of info:
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threa...estion.143172/

VolvoFan Feb 5th, 2021 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasesDragons (Post 2706939)
Hi all,

A radio suppressor wire is normally connected to the switch side of the ignition coil, and the body is earthed.

Laird Scooby Feb 5th, 2021 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasesDragons (Post 2706977)
Thank you, both,

I am sure this was wired a while ago. I need to find where It was wired to and install it.

Do you think this will influence smooth running, even if the points are serviceable?

It goes to the +ve terminal on the coil and does nothing to suppress the transients caused by the points opening and closing, it's there purely for RFI suppression.

The capacitor that deals with the transients and also helps to give a rapid discharge of emf in the coil and hence collapse of the magnetic field internally to give the HT output is in or on the distributor.

Worth cleaning the coil tower as well, it's pretty dirty and dirt harbours moisture which could cause tracking, likewise the dizzy cap and rotor arm if they're dirty. While you're at it, inspect the carbon brush inside the dizzy cap, these have a habit of breaking. Also when did you last renew the HT leads, points and condensor (aka the capacitor on/in the dizzy)? :thinking:

ChasesDragons Feb 5th, 2021 17:45

Thank I can do the attachment to positive and the clean up tomorrow.

My intention is to disassemble and clean the fuel pump ove the coming weeks and reinstall with a low-resistance pre- pump filter.

Hopefully something good comes of this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2707101)

Worth cleaning the coil tower as well, it's pretty dirty and dirt harbours moisture which could cause tracking, likewise the dizzy cap and rotor arm if they're dirty. While you're at it, inspect the carbon brush inside the dizzy cap, these have a habit of breaking. Also when did you last renew the HT leads, points and condensor (aka the capacitor on/in the dizzy)? :thinking: