Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   NEC Restoration Show for an ES victim. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293077)

harpgirl Mar 21st, 2019 07:53

NEC Restoration Show for an ES victim.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I am in the depths of a restoration project (1800es).
Do people think there is much to be gained from a visit to such a show for someone in my position?
Is the autojumble likely to be of any use with such a small production run model of car?
Do people think the demonstrations on offer are likely to help or confuse?
I met Paul Cassell at the Classic Show in November which was worthwhile. Are there any other ES owners likely to be there on a Friday?
Am I better off putting the money into metal and welding wire?
Photo attached for sympathy.
Cheers,
Ian

Clan Mar 21st, 2019 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpgirl (Post 2506343)
Hi,
Do people think there is much to be gained from a visit to such a show for someone in my position?
Is the autojumble likely to be of any use with such a small production run model of car?
I met Paul Cassell at the Classic Show in November which was worthwhile. Are there any other ES owners likely to be there on a Friday?
Cheers,
Ian

I very much doubt you will find anything there for your 1800ES , however there will be all sorts of things to look through and you can never tell if there may be a wing or sill etc for your car , no one else there will want it ! There will be all sorts of tools and books and products which will interest you too .
certainly worth a visit .

ExCee70 Mar 21st, 2019 17:05

Go!

Have a weekend away from cutting your fingers, skinning your knuckles, getting sparks in your face and arc eye!

Even if you don't find anything for an ES there is a wealth of info about products, tools, techniques and suppliers to be gained from shows like these.

I used to go to a lot of shows like this and found them informative and educational and an opportunity to see and chat about restoration, customising, etc.

I'm hacked off because I can't go so please go in my place and have fun :teeth_smile:

cassell Mar 21st, 2019 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExCee70 (Post 2506481)
Go!

I'm hacked off because I can't go so please go in my place and have fun :teeth_smile:

Throw a sickie Michael, they'll probably not miss you anyway, neither will Amanda!

cassell Mar 21st, 2019 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpgirl (Post 2506343)
Hi,
Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian, not many people admit that meeting me was worthwhile, thanks for that!

Have a break from your 1800ES labour of love, you are unlikely to stumble across any ES bits at the NEC but there will be plenty of other temptations for you!

Pop along to the VOC stand, I'm not sure what will be on display but tell Bob or Jakki that I've sent you and you'll be guaranteed a coffee and biscuit.

Paul

harpgirl Mar 23rd, 2019 09:51

I had quite a nice day. Better for me on a Friday as there was space to walk. Got sidetracked so missed the panel beating display and the second one was so late in the day I had run out of steam. I did see the demo on lead loading.
How do you know which bits were lead loaded in the first place so when stripping back the vehicle you aren't tossing lead dust into your work environment?
Back on the restoration next week as the following week will be taken up attending a brass instrument repair course.

Derek UK Mar 23rd, 2019 12:11

Lots of lead in the ES build. Lead looks different from steel when you remove the paint but you do have to take care when using power tools. Use a decent mask. See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRDLnHnJgE