Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   940 HPT or LPT (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298499)

Thejdizzler Sep 11th, 2019 15:21

940 HPT or LPT

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 940 with the intention of modifying it. After researching I have been reading about the difference between High Pressure Turbo HPT and Low pressure turbo LPT. I understand the technical difference. I also understand checking the cam cover tells you which version of the turbo the car has. However is there any other way of checking if a particular car has an LPT or HPT when looking online etc? Were the different turbos fitted to different spec models or is it ‘luck of the draw?’ which one the car has? I’m finding it hard to narrow down my online search for prospective cars.

Thanks all

griston64 Sep 11th, 2019 15:41

It's the same turbo with a different actuator. HPT as it's name suggests runs at higher pressure.

Clan Sep 11th, 2019 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thejdizzler (Post 2552892)
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 940 with the intention of modifying it. After researching I have been reading about the difference between High Pressure Turbo HPT and Low pressure turbo LPT. I understand the technical difference. I also understand checking the cam cover tells you which version of the turbo the car has. However is there any other way of checking if a particular car has an LPT or HPT when looking online etc? Were the different turbos fitted to different spec models or is it ‘luck of the draw?’ which one the car has? I’m finding it hard to narrow down my online search for prospective cars.

Thanks all

B230FK is the low pressure turbo , low 135bhp but high torque 230nm at low rpm this was not badged turbo and was built to compete with other 2.3 engines around at the time without advertising that it was a turbo ....

when you think the first B23E in 1979 was 140 bhp without a turbo it makes you wonder how on earth they did it !

Thejdizzler Sep 11th, 2019 16:02

Ok thanks....so if it’s advertised as a turbo it will be HPT and if it is not it will be LPT?

Clan Sep 11th, 2019 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thejdizzler (Post 2552901)
Ok thanks....so if it’s advertised as a turbo it will be HPT and if it is not it will be LPT?

That is how it was when the LPT was launched , I cant remember when it disappeared ... Look for your engine type on the belt cover ... B230FT is the High pressure one

Thejdizzler Sep 11th, 2019 16:13

I will look for ones advertised as Turbo then. I am trying to avoid wasting anyone’s time by going to view a 940 and then finding out when I get to see it that it is an LPT.

griston64 Sep 11th, 2019 16:16

They will all be advertised as Turbo. If you are modding the LPT is the better bet

Thejdizzler Sep 11th, 2019 16:20

Why is the LPT a better bet? From what I read the LPT is better for towing but the HPT is better for performance? Happy to be proved wrong though!

griston64 Sep 11th, 2019 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thejdizzler (Post 2552913)
Why is the LPT a better bet? From what I read the LPT is better for towing but the HPT is better for performance? Happy to be proved wrong though!

The LPT will have been less stressed. As its exactly the same engine and turbo and you said you are modding, all you need to do is fit a manual boost gauge ( or a different actuator )and you have an HPT or more depending on how high you go with boost.

Lots of people on here have modded LPT to over 300bhp

Thejdizzler Sep 11th, 2019 17:34

Ok makes sense. Thanks for your advice. On a side note, I am thinking mileage is not really an issue with these engines? Seen a few online between 150K-200K. Is it something that I should be bothered about when I’m looking? Obviously lower if possible but not a must?