Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Service Issues: Mot fail on headlamp washer & wipers (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=145542)

Ricco Feb 13th, 2012 07:35

Mot fail on headlamp washer & wipers

Hi All

Would I be right in saying that when the car has a 96k service they should check that the headlamp washers & wipers work? I know they do not work but were agreed to be fixed by the seller of the car.

Would the car fail an MOT left not working? Is there a thread about MOT FAILIURES?

Cheers
Ricco

will48 Feb 13th, 2012 07:58

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Although a car doesn't have to have headlamp washers/wipers to pass an MOT (ie. older cars) I am almost sure that if they are fitted on a car, they come under the MOT.

RUTV70 Feb 13th, 2012 08:40

Have a look at the sticky in the General Volvo/motoring forum for the 2012 MOT new regs.!
It depends on which headlights you have...if they are the "old" washer/wiper system (and not the newer HIDS/power wash) then they don't have to be working AFAIK.
I disconnected mine some time ago and it's always passed the MOT.

Neil

The Hooded Claw Feb 13th, 2012 09:40

Wot Neil said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As you know my 3 cars passed their MOT's last week & the S80 & C70 BOTH have defective Headlight wash/wipe systems ...

Keith

NorfolkVolvoSpares Feb 13th, 2012 09:44

Headlamp washers and wipers are NOT part of the MOT test

Michael J Feb 13th, 2012 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyb1375 (Post 1092360)

... for conventional/halogen headlamps.

swedishandgerman Feb 13th, 2012 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyb1375 (Post 1092360)

That changed very recently. A car fitted with HID's (Xenon headlights) must have working washers or wipers. If the car has ordinary headlights, they don't have to work for the MOT

Mark H Feb 13th, 2012 13:37

All cars factory fitted with HiD headlamps must have automatic levelling and a washer system fitted. Don't know what happens if they're retro fitted.

Ricco Feb 13th, 2012 13:53

Headlamp washer/wiper/leveling

Hi All

I know mine were not working when I bought the car but the dealer/seller has promised to get them fixed (getting done today as I type).

I wondered if should have passed the MOT back in October when I know it was also not working as there was not even a fuse in the socket!

Guess it was OK to pass.

Michael J Feb 13th, 2012 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark H (Post 1092511)
Don't know what happens if they're retro fitted.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...3-lighting.pdf

Quote:

Section 1.7 – Headlamps

... Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems. Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose.

It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.