Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Boost presure sensor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283261)

Railman1 Jun 22nd, 2018 13:47

Boost presure sensor

On a 5204T3 engine XC60, were is the boost presure sensor? mine is showing consistantly higher readings than the desired value. I think this is the cause of my overboost error message but dont know its location.

Clan Jun 22nd, 2018 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railman1 (Post 2417101)
On a 5204T3 engine XC60, were is the boost presure sensor? mine is showing consistantly higher readings than the desired value. I think this is the cause of my overboost error message but dont know its location.

Yes , this is becoming a more common problem , The sensor is down low on the left side in the intercooler plastic outlet stub , near the coolant hose where it goes into the bottom of the radiator . about £88 from the dealer .

Railman1 Jun 22nd, 2018 20:43

Thanks Clan I will have a look tomorrow.

davebb Jun 23rd, 2018 12:43

Hi
your boost sensor maybe working correctly , the car maybe over boosting
have you go a obd2 reader, if yes what is your MAP reading with the car on but with the car not running if it is about 1bar, I would say the sensor is ok,
Dave

Clan Jun 23rd, 2018 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebb (Post 2417464)
Hi
your boost sensor maybe working correctly , the car maybe over boosting
have you go a obd2 reader, if yes what is your MAP reading with the car on but with the car not running if it is about 1bar, I would say the sensor is ok,
Dave

ambient atmospheric pressure is indeed around 1000 mb however if the sensor records even 20 mb wrongly it will upset the engine . There are 3 atmospheric pressure sensors in the ECM system and they should all read the same obviously, within 10 mb I would say. These sensors don't just fail they give a slightly inaccurate reading .. and the only ones which give the wrong reading are those in the intercooler outlet pipe .

davebb Jun 23rd, 2018 13:23

Hi clan
I always look to match with the atmospheric pressure sensors in the ECM,
the ones in the intercooler do fill with oil over time,
but a test could save £50-£80,
Dave

davebb Jun 30th, 2018 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railman1 (Post 2417101)

How are you getting on with the car, is it a bad sensor.
Dave

Railman1 Jun 30th, 2018 21:33

Found the sensor following Clan's directions! really tucked away down there, ordered a new Sensor and fitted it £40 from ebay now readings for desired and actual Boost presure are nearly exactly the same and rise and fall in sync. No alarms to date.
The old one was always 150 - 175 hpa above the desired value, even at tickover, so it seems they do fail by reading higher than the true value. So far so good and great direction from Clan.

davebb Jul 1st, 2018 00:53

That's brilliant news,
My 2002 D5 was fitted with a 2.5bar sensor , but with a remap, the sensor needs to read higher so it can go into limp mode if over boosting, so I have now fitted a 4bar sensor, and that will be good for if I mod the turbo,
Dave