Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Strange Steering and Braking in my XC90 AWD (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=180841)

wowdigital May 21st, 2013 02:19

Strange Steering and Braking in my XC90 AWD

Hi Guys,

I have finally got myself a 04 XC90, and love it. Being new to the volvo i may be going mad or just getting used to driving the vehicle but have two questions.

1. When going around roundabouts or long corners I get a slight movement in the steering, best way i can describe this is a pulling back sensation by a fraction of the steering as if its pulling out of your hands small movement, this may be a volvo things but maybe you have some advice. If i am slower and smoother and think more about the approach in my driving its not as bad but if i am at speed it is quite a sensation Freaked me when i first went for it. ( as I say new to volvo may be the 4 x4 or me)

2. When braking I have a slight pull to the right, however again if i pre think my braking and give myself a great distance the pull does not come into effect. Its a strange one feels like the car moves to the centre of the road yet i feel no movement within the steering.

This said I am loving my new volvo experience.

Many Thanks in advance for viewing my post.

Darren

GJB May 21st, 2013 16:03

Get the tracking checked it will pay as it will save excessive tyre wear.

Clan May 21st, 2013 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by wowdigital (Post 1419713)
Hi Guys,

I have finally got myself a 04 XC90, and love it. Being new to the volvo i may be going mad or just getting used to driving the vehicle but have two questions.

1. When going around roundabouts or long corners I get a slight movement in the steering, best way i can describe this is a pulling back sensation by a fraction of the steering as if its pulling out of your hands small movement, this may be a volvo things but maybe you have some advice. If i am slower and smoother and think more about the approach in my driving its not as bad but if i am at speed it is quite a sensation Freaked me when i first went for it. ( as I say new to volvo may be the 4 x4 or me)

2. When braking I have a slight pull to the right, however again if i pre think my braking and give myself a great distance the pull does not come into effect. Its a strange one feels like the car moves to the centre of the road yet i feel no movement within the steering.

This said I am loving my new volvo experience.

Many Thanks in advance for viewing my post.

Darren

An intenal fault in the steering rack gives this jerky steering sensation .
The brake pull in a case i had was a volvo wishbone on one side and a non genuine one on the other side ! The rubber bushes had a huge difference in the amount they flexed .

wowdigital May 24th, 2013 20:44

Issues

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies, new set if premium tyres and full tracking now done 700 quid lighter.

Nothing fixed, guys at garage think it is the steering rack.

Thx

Clan May 24th, 2013 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by wowdigital (Post 1422061)
Hi guys

Thanks for the replies, new set if premium tyres and full tracking now done 700 quid lighter.

Nothing fixed, guys at garage think it is the steering rack.

Thx

did you check the wishbones ?
if you brake holding the steering wheel firmly does it pull one way?
If you brake without holding the wheel , does it brake straight but the steering wheel turns to one side?

wowdigital May 24th, 2013 21:01

Issues

I will have this checked thanks.

It's strange, no hands brake feels like you veer to the right yet see no movement on wheel, hold it and I feel and see movement.

Also not there all the time if I distance break ie give my self lots of time to break not to bad shorter distance e more visable

Coming down a steep back was a experience car on braking felt very light and pulled to the right a lot.

So will ask garage to review rack and wish bones.

Thanks

TelstarFlyer May 26th, 2013 18:56

Hi Wow,
I have exactly the same issue on my XC90 2004 2.5T. Could I ask you to PM me if you have any news? :)

Thanx

wowdigital Aug 26th, 2013 17:52

Sorry still looking into it

aaron75 Oct 25th, 2013 11:04

I have exactly the same problem I started thread abou this,
I replaced all ball joints, Inner track arms, wishbones, brake discs pads, all with OEM spec and Tracking twice, but I still have pull to the left and when braking the steering offsets itself to the right??

Dud you have any joy locating the problem ???

aaron75 Nov 3rd, 2013 16:53

Strange pull

Anyone had any luck ??
I'm still getting a pull to the left just driving normally in a straight line despite tyres tracking ball joints Wishbones inner tyre rods and track rid ends and discs and pads (all OEM) replaced.
Upon braking the steering veers to the right by itself to compensate for the pull. It's most discerning.