Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A winch to lower a trailer down a slope. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274449)

Stephen Edwin Oct 30th, 2017 19:13

A winch to lower a trailer down a slope.

Has anyone fitted a winch to the rear of a 240 estate to lower a trailer down a slope please? Most winches are not for lowering down slopes, only for pulling up a slope. And a strong mounting point is needed. It's not easy to see how to mount a winch to the towbar at the rear.

Father Christmas needs your helpful information. His sleigh trailer needs to be moved down a sloping drive in to Advent quarters. In readiness to go around the streets visiting the children in this area, and collecting charity money from the children's adults. Santa's helpers are not as young not as strong and not as numerous as they used to be so a winch is being considered.

This year's T shirt:

Santa
I can explain....

ksmi Oct 30th, 2017 20:04

message to Santa

Hi Santa, may I make a suggestion, try having a word with you local Landrover dealer,and ask if they know any off road bods/clubs in the area,they often have winches for tugging each other out of the brown stuff and I am sure the would be only too pleased to assist Santa.

regards,Keith.

Stephen Edwin Oct 30th, 2017 20:49

Good point re local Land Rover clubs/owners. One Disco owner justifies his vehicle by towing Santa around the streets. He drives better towing than most of us manage without a trailer. :) But we can't at the moment get any LR owner offering to lower down the slope. Sorry. Justifies his vehicle is not very polite, grateful or diplomatic of me.

Thanks for the idea and I'll keep a look out for a helpful LR Rudolph.

In the meantime, Stephen Edwin would rather like to find a way to fit up a winch and be able to do the job as and when required. Has anyone ever fitted a winch to the back of a 240 estate for lowering a trailer down a slope?

Rooster Oct 30th, 2017 20:52

I have a little winch on my car trailer and it came with an attachment to fit it onto a towbar but as said it is only electric to pull rather than retract altho it can be done manually

Stephen Edwin Oct 30th, 2017 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 2332885)
I have a little winch on my car trailer and it came with an attachment to fit it onto a towbar but as said it is only electric to pull rather than retract altho it can be done manually

Thanks.

I've seen one like that on eBay. It looks nifty. I thougtt I'd solved this when I saw that until I found it is not for lowering. That's life. I guess pulling is most people's problem with trailers.

Clifford Pope Oct 31st, 2017 08:05

What distance are we talking about - 20 feet? 100 yards?

I'd use an old fashioned block and tackle, with a reasonably thick rope you can get a grip on, and just pay it out slowly. You probably need an assistant to steer the trailer.
You can get blocks with a locking catch, which hold when you move the line of pull, like a window blind.

Or use a winch from a dinghy trailer. You can release the catch and then very carefully unwind the handle, like releasing an over-wound clock spring.

I can tell you how NOT to do it - by releasing the trailer brake and holding it partly on with you finger on the button as you stagger down the slope trying not to trip over. :)

Derek UK Oct 31st, 2017 17:24

deleted

Derek UK Oct 31st, 2017 17:27

If the winch is on the trailer, can't you just put the end of the cable around the tow bar ball and reverse the winch? If it doesn't power backwards it should have a brake? Or put the trailer on the ball and reverse down. Am I missing something here?

Stephen Edwin Nov 1st, 2017 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifford Pope (Post 2332981)
What distance are we talking about - 20 feet? 100 yards?

I'd use an old fashioned block and tackle, with a reasonably thick rope you can get a grip on, and just pay it out slowly. You probably need an assistant to steer the trailer.
You can get blocks with a locking catch, which hold when you move the line of pull, like a window blind.

Or use a winch from a dinghy trailer. You can release the catch and then very carefully unwind the handle, like releasing an over-wound clock spring.

I can tell you how NOT to do it - by releasing the trailer brake and holding it partly on with you finger on the button as you stagger down the slope trying not to trip over. :)

I really must measure that drive....

The dingy trailer winch might be the answer. I should find someone using one and ask if they would demonstrate so I will know the real life reality.

The block and tackle is also interesting. And the sort of locking block thingy could be very good.

Trailer brake - what trailer brake .... :)

Thanks.

Stephen Edwin Nov 1st, 2017 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek UK (Post 2333138)
If the winch is on the trailer, can't you just put the end of the cable around the tow bar ball and reverse the winch? If it doesn't power backwards it should have a brake? Or put the trailer on the ball and reverse down. Am I missing something here?

Wherever the winch is fitted, most say not for lowering. But see above I am going to find a helpful dingy owner as ask for a real world demonstration.

I have not see even our intrepid friendly Disco driver try to reverse the trailer down that drive....and he's a dab hand at reversing the trailer. :)

Thanks.