Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   plastic bumper trim question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292799)

mathewst Mar 13th, 2019 19:36

plastic bumper trim question

I plan to respray the black plastic on the bumpers, someone sprayed one front badly before and now is peeling of, the rear one is a bit scratched.
Does these plastic black trims just unclip from the bumpers (I need to remove those side lenses of course but want to know how to remove the trims)
thanks in advance

canis Mar 15th, 2019 03:31

Easier to mask em off and paint them on the car. They're removable, but you'll need to take the bumper off and you'll be fiddling with plastic tongues which are decades old...

clarkey1984 Mar 15th, 2019 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 2504366)
Easier to mask em off and paint them on the car. They're removable, but you'll need to take the bumper off and you'll be fiddling with plastic tongues which are decades old...

+1 to canis' fine advice, that's all I did with the 99 phase 1 I used to have, although I went one step further as none of the corner markers worked, so i just smoothed them all in with filler, I used satin black which looked decent, however I have read various places that rover hurricane grey is a very good match for OEM grey trim on most makes of car.

mathewst Mar 16th, 2019 21:26

Thanks for the advice.
One plastic is peeling of badly (front right).
It is probably painted once and painted badly, or to be more accurate wasn't preped for paint.
I'm a bit worried about prep work with the trim being on the bumper (afraid to scratch the car paint.

P156KWJ Mar 17th, 2019 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathewst (Post 2504907)
Thanks for the advice.
One plastic is peeling of badly (front right).
It is probably painted once and painted badly, or to be more accurate wasn't preped for paint.
I'm a bit worried about prep work with the trim being on the bumper (afraid to scratch the car paint.

Mask off first for that too, luckily for plastic you won't need very harsh abrasives so the masking should provide good protection. Probably best to remove it then do a fresh run round with masking before painting to ensure proper cleanliness. The extra prep goes a long way, found that out the hard way with paint in the past!

canis Mar 18th, 2019 00:37

Yes, mask off the paintwork first with two layers of masking paper. Smooth off the old paint with 320 grit wet paper. You can use the rubbing down paper to either finish the prep all across or use wire wool, or red scotch brite.

When you're happy it's smooth enough, use red-scotch-bright with methylated spirits to get it all clean. You're finished with this stage when there is no plastic left shiny, it will all have a good "key" surface to accept the paint. Shiny plastic is no good.

Remove the masking. Blow out any water using compressed air if you can. Keep cleaning it with meths and a tea-towel stolen from the kitchen when the wife isn't looking, continue to blow it and clean it until it's clean and dry.

Seriously, go back and use meths. I know you don't have any, go and buy some. And do it again properly this time.

Mask it up again, and paint it.

Plasti-kote works well. You can get it in wickes. Other DIY stores are available.