Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 questions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338511)

Kev0607 Mar 1st, 2024 21:01

XC90 questions

Hi all,

I'm doing a bit of browsing at the moment. I don't know much about XC90's, hence why I'm posting in this section. Please forgive me if any of the questions come across as silly! I've never owned an SUV before, but I fancy a change and I do like the elevated driving position. However, I'm not new to the Volvo world. See link below to the vehicle I've come across whilst browsing.

Here's the questions I have based on the car linked below;

I currently own a P3 Volvo S80, is this shape XC90 being a "P2" chassis classed as a true Volvo, as P3's have lots of Ford parts. Is this the same for the XC90, theoretically making it a P3 car?

I don't think these wheels will be good for the ride quality? They look aftermarket to me, or are they?

Is 164,000 miles too much?

Is 185bhp in a vehicle that weighs this much too small of an engine, to the point it feels sluggish and underpowered?

Is there plenty of rear leg room in the back of an XC90 for fully grown adults. Let's say there's a 6ft person driving, what's the space like behind. Its adequate in the S80, but I wouldn't call it "great" either.

Any other things to look out for on these XC90's?

Are they comfortable comparatively to a saloon?

Thanks for your help.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...o=2024&fromsra

Carlosos Mar 1st, 2024 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2938701)
Hi all,

I'm doing a bit of browsing at the moment. I don't know much about XC90's, hence why I'm posting in this section. Please forgive me if any of the questions come across as silly! I've never owned an SUV before, but I fancy a change and I do like the elevated driving position. However, I'm not new to the Volvo world. See link below to the vehicle I've come across whilst browsing.

Here's the questions I have based on the car linked below;

I currently own a P3 Volvo S80, is this shape XC90 being a "P2" chassis classed as a true Volvo, as P3's have lots of Ford parts. Is this the same for the XC90, theoretically making it a P3 car?

I don't think these wheels will be good for the ride quality? They look aftermarket to me, or are they?

Is 164,000 miles too much?

Is 185bhp in a vehicle that weighs this much too small of an engine, to the point it feels sluggish and underpowered?

Is there plenty of rear leg room in the back of an XC90 for fully grown adults. Let's say there's a 6ft person driving, what's the space like behind. Its adequate in the S80, but I wouldn't call it "great" either.

Any other things to look out for on these XC90's?

Are they comfortable comparatively to a saloon?

Thanks for your help.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...o=2024&fromsra

It’s defo a p2 car. Not aware of any Ford parts but I might be wrong.

The wheels look aftermarket but they do look good. Changed them down to 18’s if ride quality wants improvement. They arnt expensive.

185 is plenty of power but it’s all relative. Mine is 163 and it’s fine for us 7 up with luggage but you might find even the 200hp version slow. It’s down to you.

I’m 6’2” and I can sit behind myself (not possible lol) and be plenty comfy enough. The seating in these is excellent, much better than every saloon I’ve been except say for sure LWB models.

Check for wet footwells as the sunroofs can leak down the a pillar (easy fix)

Check for oil leaks. You don’t need a leaky engine and there are plenty for sale with clean engine bays. Check the propshaft underneath. If you can turn it with your hand it means the 4wd isn’t working.check for braking in a straight line, work bushes can cause weird handling. Other stuff is general car things.

These do over 300k miles with care but they do need care and looking after. Gearbox is what mostly ends the life of these cars so check for service history on the gearbox or factor it in for a service.

My jag s type was slightly comfier than this but not by much. That car was serene on big fat sidewall tyres. My Xc90 is on 18’s and it’s almost as good.

I’ve always had big saloons and I’m glad I changed. The driving position ease of entry and exit for me and my 4 kids it’s such a lovely but thing.

If you look after it it’ll look after you.

Kev0607 Mar 2nd, 2024 00:09

Thanks for your response.

I haven’t seen the car to see what kind of history it has, but I think the mileage is too high for me on reflection. Its a big, heavy car. I expect wear at that mileage, being realistic… it’d likely need suspension work etc etc, transmission servicing and Haldex fluid. It could be costly.

Better to find something with much less on the clock I think.

Carlosos Mar 2nd, 2024 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2938728)
Thanks for your response.

I haven’t seen the car to see what kind of history it has, but I think the mileage is too high for me on reflection. Its a big, heavy car. I expect wear at that mileage, being realistic… it’d likely need suspension work etc etc, transmission servicing and Haldex fluid. It could be costly.

Better to find something with much less on the clock I think.

No worries.

Lower mileage ones are about but the prices for them are quite high, they are holding the value well.

They do wear pretty well even higher mileage ones do drive very well. Looked after is what I looked for not mileage.

Kev0607 Mar 2nd, 2024 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosos (Post 2938729)
No worries.

Lower mileage ones are about but the prices for them are quite high, they are holding the value well.

They do wear pretty well even higher mileage ones do drive very well. Looked after is what I looked for not mileage.

True, but being honest, I know the D5’s aren’t particularly good on fuel… great engines, but fuel economy isn’t their strong point.

I find my car thirsty enough. As nice as the XC90 looks and likely is, I want something that’s better on fuel. After looking at the mpg figures on that, it wouldn’t be for me. I know its not going to be great being big and heavy, but its just too thirsty for my liking.

Maybe the newer engines are more efficient, probably much pricier though too.

Thanks for your input though, its appreciated.

Moose Test Mar 2nd, 2024 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2938730)
I know the D5’s aren’t particularly good on fuel… great engines, but fuel economy isn’t their strong point.

It's not the engine that's the issue, it's the vehicle class: It's a 2 tonne 7-seat SUV with an automatic gearbox and 4WD, there's little in the class and of its time that will do better.

The D5 in my manual V70 estate used to get over 50 MPG on long runs.