Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Diagnosing Core Plug Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299260)

WrathOfKain Oct 6th, 2019 23:50

Diagnosing Core Plug Issues

I am currently trying to get my hands on a decent XC90 E3 model but fearful of this dreaded CORE PLUG issue. Amazed me to hear such a cheap part failing could result in such a consequence, but i suppose thats just the way of things.

Anyway I am looking for a better understanding of tell tale signs. I am distance buying and often see oil leaks mentioned in the MOT advisories and being a glass half empty type of person my first thoughts are "core plug?!". I know these are aged vehicles and may just have a wee innocent weep/leak.

And of course its probably not the case this issue is as prevalent as i think but the very first XC90 i had booked to go and look at was pulled at the dealership with the core plug issue and he reckoned he had seen a fair few before.

I know there is no crystal ball but if i have a mechanic looking a vehicle over for me is there anything i can point him to or does it all just come down to a massive loss in oil ?

Is there a typical range of miles where if it was to fail that it would fail? i.e. if it was going to fail it would have failed in the first 100,000 ?

Also if I did end up getting stung with a core plug issue what would it cost to get repaired?

Merci Buckets

Clan Oct 7th, 2019 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by WrathOfKain (Post 2560436)
I am currently trying to get my hands on a decent XC90 E3 model but fearful of this dreaded CORE PLUG issue. Amazed me to hear such a cheap part failing could result in such a consequence, but i suppose thats just the way of things.

Anyway I am looking for a better understanding of tell tale signs. I am distance buying and often see oil leaks mentioned in the MOT advisories and being a glass half empty type of person my first thoughts are "core plug?!". I know these are aged vehicles and may just have a wee innocent weep/leak.

And of course its probably not the case this issue is as prevalent as i think but the very first XC90 i had booked to go and look at was pulled at the dealership with the core plug issue and he reckoned he had seen a fair few before.

I know there is no crystal ball but if i have a mechanic looking a vehicle over for me is there anything i can point him to or does it all just come down to a massive loss in oil ?

Is there a typical range of miles where if it was to fail that it would fail? i.e. if it was going to fail it would have failed in the first 100,000 ?

Also if I did end up getting stung with a core plug issue what would it cost to get repaired?

Merci Buckets

They used a metal plug after 2004 which gives no problem , the original was a rubber plug . What happens is that excessive crankcase breather pressure blows the plug out , so keep an eye on the breather system if you have a pre 2005 engine . When they go they go , the plug pops out and you have the engine blowing oily crankcase fumes and oil out behind the flywheel . When you buy a new plug you get the metal one now ...

WrathOfKain Oct 7th, 2019 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2560508)
They used a metal plug after 2004 which gives no problem , the original was a rubber plug . What happens is that excessive crankcase breather pressure blows the plug out , so keep an eye on the breather system if you have a pre 2005 engine . When they go they go , the plug pops out and you have the engine blowing oily crankcase fumes and oil out behind the flywheel . When you buy a new plug you get the metal one now ...

Whats the rough cost at the garage .... was going through posts last night and i think in general they were saying c. 6 hrs ... albeit i think a number of these were on models other than the XC90.

Clan Oct 7th, 2019 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by WrathOfKain (Post 2560685)
Whats the rough cost at the garage .... was going through posts last night and i think in general they were saying c. 6 hrs ... albeit i think a number of these were on models other than the XC90.

The official time is 8.5 hours so going to be a £1000+ job ...

WrathOfKain Oct 8th, 2019 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2560731)
The official time is 8.5 hours so going to be a £1000+ job ...

Holly****olley ..... no wonder that first dealer pulled the car .... he said it was sold but suspect he was just pulling it .... to fix and then up the price or he found this and more.

Mind you is the core plug as prolific as i thought .... i know the internet doesnt show all the vehicles that are ok ... and it might just have been a horrible coincidence the first one i looked at had it ?

So is it unlikely a mobile mechanic will pick up anything on his inspection i.e. it just randomly goes ?

owenfackrell Oct 8th, 2019 15:32

I had mine done when i had the clutch done as it was a 5 minute job once they had already pulled the gearbox however this is not something that you would do on an auto.

WrathOfKain Oct 8th, 2019 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by owenfackrell (Post 2560941)
I had mine done when i had the clutch done as it was a 5 minute job once they had already pulled the gearbox however this is not something that you would do on an auto.

Its a horrific one that .... its truely the achilles heel of volvo

eternal optimist Oct 9th, 2019 06:31

Quote:

Do you know when the change happened? Was it 2004 model year cars?

WrathOfKain Oct 9th, 2019 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal optimist (Post 2561099)
Do you know when the change happened? Was it 2004 model year cars?

From what I have READ its 2006 ... you can identify vy the colour of the engine cover .... black is the one with the core plug issue .... albeit i may be completely wrong .... just at the bottom of the learning curev right now :)

GSTheo119 Oct 10th, 2019 23:26

Quote:

This seems important if not crucial preventative maintenance, any guidance for checking/keeping this clear? found an old thread but none the wiser.