Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   300 series event 2014 - Nottingham - Sunday 7th September (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=211374)

foggyjames Aug 5th, 2014 22:40

300 series event 2014 - Nottingham - Sunday 7th September

See here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=211373

cheers

James

foggyjames Aug 17th, 2014 15:22

Bump! Three weeks to go! Anyone else joining us on the Sunday?

Is anyone free on the Saturday? Seems pretty quiet on that front so far. We can organise a drive, or just a pub trip and camping / hotels...whatever anyone fancies?

cheers

James

john.wigley Sep 7th, 2014 17:22

Thanks

Thank you, James, for organising this gathering. We had a very pleasant day even if we didn't come in a 3 - series! As we discussed, it is a pity that events like this are not better supported by the membership at large - but that is their loss, I feel.

There was something for everyone. The cars, of course, vintage busses, train rides (Main Line and model), book stall, bric-a-brac and much more! The weather was glorious (always a bonus) and the cafe's Bacon Baps were superb .... the 'Baconistas' on here missed a treat!

Kind regards, John & Linda.

foggyjames Sep 7th, 2014 23:20

Good to meet you both, and thank you for coming! Many thanks indeed to all at Ruddington, especially our own Richard Hull for his 'above and beyond' hospitality.

I think, in fairness, my relatively late announcement of this event didn't help the attendance, and I should have phoned and badgered a few of the "maybes" - these are the things you must do! The late announcement was the result of both the original plan having fallen through, and that, for a few months of the year, I had committed the majority of my spare time to a project orientated towards parts supply for 300s. It was all with the best of intentions, but I think it didn't help the attendance level today.

Having said that, if everyone had a good time, it was very much worth it...and we will get planning (and announcing) earlier for next year!

cheers

James

volvomania Sep 10th, 2014 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyjames (Post 1733416)
I think, in fairness, my relatively late announcement of this event didn't help the attendance, ...

Without kicking the same sore leg, but is that not the same story every year?

john.wigley Sep 10th, 2014 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvomania (Post 1735639)
Without kicking the same sore leg, but is that not the same story every year?

I'm not party to what happened in previous years, but isn't that just a little unfair, 'volvomania'? This thread was started on August 5th, giving a full month's notice to those interested in attending. It was also in the 'Driver' magazine, albeit somewhat difficult to find!

As James explained, the announcement was delayed partly because his original plans for the event fell through. I'm sure that he would have been in a position to give more notice had that not been the case.

Events such as this do not simply 'happen', they involve a lot of hard work on the part of the person(s) organising them - and sometimes things happen outside of their control, as in this instance!

Regards, John.

foggyjames Sep 11th, 2014 00:36

It is the same story every year, in fairness...and probably worse than usual this year, but there were reasons for that. I'm going to try to get the info into the previous magazine next year, and the threads up on the various forums with several months to go.

cheers

James

macplaxton Sep 11th, 2014 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 1735670)
but isn't that just a little unfair, 'volvomania'?

John, it's perfectly fair. It's the big Belgian's ('volvomania') duty to chastise Foggy for his tardiness. We all do it, even the German birds :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...F4044Large.jpg

volvomania Sep 16th, 2014 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 1735670)
I'm not party to what happened in previous years, but isn't that just a little unfair, 'volvomania'? This thread was started on August 5th, giving a full month's notice to those interested in attending.

Well John, if you are coming from mainland Europe, are doing volunteer work about 40 weekends a year (so need to clear the calendar well in time and swap shifts, that is besides a full-time job and running BBB) and need to find an affordable crossing/hotel/etc, a months notice is a bit short, isn't it?

I am not chastising Foggy just because, that is not the intension, but if I was to give you the details of a big due here on the continent 4 weeks in advance, would you be able to make it in an early 300-series?

john.wigley Sep 16th, 2014 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvomania (Post 1739978)
Well John, if you are coming from mainland Europe, are doing volunteer work about 40 weekends a year (so need to clear the calendar well in time and swap shifts, that is besides a full-time job and running BBB) and need to find an affordable crossing/hotel/etc, a months notice is a bit short, isn't it?

I am not chastising Foggy just because, that is not the intension, but if I was to give you the details of a big due here on the continent 4 weeks in advance, would you be able to make it in an early 300-series?

Sorry, volvomania, no offense intended! My observations were intended to be of a general nature and were directed neither at you, nor anyone else, personally. There are two sides to every coin I guess, and it would seem that we do have fewer demands upon our time than perhaps some others do.

The answer to your question is yes - but only if somebody loaned me the 300!

Kind regards, John.