Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Performance Volvo Cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ideal duel exhaust set up? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=36580)

Muscas May 2nd, 2007 17:59

Ideal duel exhaust set up?

I am replacing my Longlife duel exhaust system shortly due to the fact that it has two holes in it and Russell believes the current set up is restrictive.

The replacement from Longlife is FOC.

So, just what is the ideal custom made duel exhaust?

Currently it is a cat back system from the stock 3", which goes into a 1 1/2" Y junction before the two back boxes. From the two back boxes it exists from 3" rolled inwards tips.

So, the new installation will be a cat back set up, into I expect the original (modified) boxes (I already like this sound as it generates no drone).
What is the ideal diameter tubing from the 3" stock portion to the two back boxes? In practise, please remember space is at a premium.

Many thanks in advance.

Patrick

Pedro Fandango May 2nd, 2007 18:25

1 1/2" Y piece no wonder your current set-up is a restriction. When Powerflow made mine they had to specially make a Y piece because they didn't do one the same diameter as the rest of the system

also mine has got a single silencer where the standard suitcase used to be & just splits to twin tail-pipes

Muscas May 3rd, 2007 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango (Post 233960)
1 1/2" Y piece no wonder your current set-up is a restriction. When Powerflow made mine they had to specially make a Y piece because they didn't do one the same diameter as the rest of the system

also mine has got a single silencer where the standard suitcase used to be & just splits to twin tail-pipes

So what diameter piping would you recommend for the Y junction?

Patrick

CTCNetwork May 3rd, 2007 09:30

Hi,

I think the y on my pipe is 2" at least.. Might be 2.5"

Remember, you could youe a 2.5" and have it rolled flatter as it would still be a bigger pipe than the 1.5"

Des. . . ;)

Pedro Fandango May 3rd, 2007 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscas (Post 234160)
So what diameter piping would you recommend for the Y junction?

mine is 2.5" like the rest of the system

burchi May 4th, 2007 14:56

Hi Patrick

On my '98 R AWD, Longlife put on the following..

Joined onto the 2.5" post CAT another 2.5" pipe through and over the rear axle where a Y-Piece was fitted being 2.5" on 1 section and then 2 x 2" on the other sections and from this came 2 lots of 2" pipe through to both silencer boxes and finished in 4" tailpipes (rolled in).

You will get a bit more noise generated courtesey of the larger diameter pipework and you may want to consider a small freeflow silencer box shortly after the CAT to help reduce this. I didn't have this and it was a little drony at 2,500 - 3,000 RPM but not nearly as bad as it had been with the TME system I had on beforehand!

Hope this helps

Regards

Ian

Muscas May 8th, 2007 13:22

Thanks for that guys,

I am off to long life on Saturday to get it sorted once and for all.

Patrick

Breva May 8th, 2007 15:08

Hi patrick,

The system on my car is 70mm all the way including the `Y` pipe if any use and is the BSR/Jetex system. As you know I am in the process of fitting another one!!!

Muscas May 8th, 2007 15:12

Thanks for that Fletch, I am commited to the Longife product, but I will be putting on my inspectors hat on Saturday, and giving Longlife a hard time, so far thay are rubbish. £630 for a Stainless steel exhaust with holes in the unions!

Patrick

Breva May 8th, 2007 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscas (Post 235811)
Thanks for that Fletch, I am commited to the Longife product, but I will be putting on my inspectors hat on Saturday, and giving Longlife a hard time, so far thay are rubbish. £630 for a Stainless steel exhaust with holes in the unions!

Patrick

£361 inc delivery for mine!!!