Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   740 rear springs falling out (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280583)

crankmasterii Apr 13th, 2018 11:41

740 rear springs falling out

Hello,
Im a new memeber from Ireland
Just recently bought a 1986 740 GL saloon.
Few small issues with it but good car.
Buyer told me it had lowering springs fitted.
However, I just have had the car through the NCT (same as MOT in UK) and it failed over the rear springs, when tester jacked the car up the springs pulled out of the pan in the trailing arms , by a fair amount as well.
The springs just dont seem long enough.
Does anyone have a measurement for the correct standard spring length, I can measure the lowering ones and get back with their size also.
I presume they are fine once the weight of the car is on the springs as i have been driving it for a week or so without noticing any issues.
Anyone have this problem? I dont know what manufacturer the springs are btw.
I am buying a few parts from a member here of a 1990 740 estate.
Will the springs from this car be OK for me to fit to my car?
If so I would just fit them to pass the test and revert back to the lowering springs as the car looks well sitting a bit lower
Thanks in advance for any advice
Willie

Casheye Apr 13th, 2018 12:04

Sounds like the previous owner just chopped the springs instead of buying lowering ones. If the ones you're buying from someone on here haven't been cut then you shouldn't have any problems fitting them to your Volvo.

The only thing you'll have to check is whether or not your car has Nivomat shocks. From what you've said though I doubt it does as the chopped springs would probably come loose from driving as the shocks determine the ride hight.

crankmasterii Apr 13th, 2018 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casheye (Post 2392393)
Sounds like the previous owner just chopped the springs instead of buying lowering ones. If the ones you're buying from someone on here haven't been cut then you shouldn't have any problems fitting them to your Volvo.

The only thing you'll have to check is whether or not your car has Nivomat shocks. From what you've said though I doubt it does as the chopped springs would probably come loose from driving as the shocks determine the ride hight.

Cheers mate, the springs look like they havent been chopped tbh, they are a blue colour and look fairly new condition but ill take a much closer look when i get at the car the weekend,
From what I read the Nivomat shocks have a rubber boot over them?
So I am looking for standard springs for a non nivomat suspension set up?

Prufrock Apr 13th, 2018 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by crankmasterii (Post 2392387)
Hello,
Im a new memeber from Ireland
Just recently bought a 1986 740 GL saloon.
Few small issues with it but good car.
Buyer told me it had lowering springs fitted.
However, I just have had the car through the NCT (same as MOT in UK) and it failed over the rear springs, when tester jacked the car up the springs pulled out of the pan in the trailing arms , by a fair amount as well.
The springs just dont seem long enough.
Does anyone have a measurement for the correct standard spring length, I can measure the lowering ones and get back with their size also.
I presume they are fine once the weight of the car is on the springs as i have been driving it for a week or so without noticing any issues.
Anyone have this problem? I dont know what manufacturer the springs are btw.
I am buying a few parts from a member here of a 1990 740 estate.
Will the springs from this car be OK for me to fit to my car?
If so I would just fit them to pass the test and revert back to the lowering springs as the car looks well sitting a bit lower
Thanks in advance for any advice
Willie

A saloon will not have self levelling shocks unless aftermarket, springs from an estate will be rated differently and late estates have Nivomats. The springs shouldn't pull out of the pan in the trailing arm as there's a tab on the cup (and a rubber seat) to prevent this - pans could be rusty of course.

And lowered springs should always be complimented with suitable shock absorbers.

Jon.

crankmasterii Apr 13th, 2018 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2392397)
A saloon will not have self levelling shocks unless aftermarket, springs from an estate will be rated differently and late estates have Nivomats. The springs shouldn't pull out of the pan in the trailing arm as there's a tab on the cup (and a rubber seat) to prevent this - pans could be rusty of course.

And lowered springs should always be complimented with suitable shock absorbers.

Jon.

Ah, so maybe i just need to bend the tab in the pan over the bottom of the spring and this will hold the spring in the pan when the car is lifted?

760Simon Apr 13th, 2018 13:06

The only saloon that I’m aware of that had Nivomats fitted was the post facelift 760 with IRS

Prufrock Apr 13th, 2018 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 760Simon (Post 2392415)
The only saloon that I’m aware of that had Nivomats fitted was the post facelift 760 with IRS

Subject is 740s not 760s.

Jon.

Prufrock Apr 13th, 2018 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by crankmasterii (Post 2392402)
Ah, so maybe i just need to bend the tab in the pan over the bottom of the spring and this will hold the spring in the pan when the car is lifted?

The tab is positioned in such a way as you slide the coil into/under the tab when you install it (the spring).

Jon.

Casheye Apr 13th, 2018 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2392421)
The tab is positioned in such a way as you slide the coil into/under the tab when you install it (the spring).

Jon.

If the springs not being seated correctly means just giving them a twist into the tab, it would have to be a diabolically jobsworthy tester not to just do it at the same time as the test. I've had MOTs where the tester has replaced bulbs to pass a vehicle. I guess if this wasn't the only thing it failed on then they might not have been so kind.

Prufrock Apr 13th, 2018 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casheye (Post 2392428)
If the springs not being seated correctly means just giving them a twist into the tab, it would have to be a diabolically jobsworthy tester not to just do it at the same time as the test. I've had MOTs where the tester has replaced bulbs to pass a vehicle. I guess if this wasn't the only thing it failed on then they might not have been so kind.

Yes, in theory you're right a tester could install the spring correctly.

Jon.