Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 1.6 drivE cutting out with fault codes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275894)

Al115 Dec 10th, 2017 03:49

V50 1.6 drivE cutting out with fault codes

Hello - long time, no post, but I'm back with an interesting query (and a request for help!)

My parents' V50 1.6 driveE (2010, diesel, manual, 50k miles) is cutting out (engine dies) under load. When restarted it runs fine.

The vehicle is fully serviced including recent fuel filter and also new DPF.

When the generic fault codes are checked after such an event, we see ECM 2520 and ECM 2550. I don't have VIDA/DICE diagnostics to hand unfortunately.

We can take the car to a local main dealer, but before doing that - any bright ideas as to what we should expect, please?

All help gratefully received!

Rooster Dec 10th, 2017 19:02

When you say fully service are they using genuine parts as it sounds like fuel starvation and this is common with fuel filters blocked but if its new then it might be a restriction rather than built up of crap inside it

Al115 Dec 11th, 2017 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 2346520)
When you say fully service are they using genuine parts as it sounds like fuel starvation and this is common with fuel filters blocked but if its new then it might be a restriction rather than built up of crap inside it

Thanks Rooster. Yes it does sound as if this could be it. Unfortunately we had a genuine Volvo fuel filter fitted less than 1000 miles ago, didn't fix the issue :(

What's next in line? In-tank pump? I know nothing about diesels. I've upgraded a few fuel pumps on my old T4/T5 variants, but they were probably much cheaper and easier :)

Ignatz Dec 11th, 2017 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al115 (Post 2346353)

My parents' V50 1.6 driveE (2010, diesel, manual, 50k miles) is cutting out (engine dies) under load. When restarted it runs fine.

This are the exact same symptoms my 2010 C30 1.6D Drive suffered last year. The cause was one of the small bore pipes becoming corroded and disconnected from the DPF. These were replaced and as a precaution the fuel filter changed too. Fixed it.

Al115 Dec 11th, 2017 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignatz (Post 2346727)
This are the exact same symptoms my 2010 C30 1.6D Drive suffered last year. The cause was one of the small bore pipes becoming corroded and disconnected from the DPF. These were replaced and as a precaution the fuel filter changed too. Fixed it.

Thank you! It would be great if that was the issue.

Al115 Dec 18th, 2017 17:35

So we took the vehicle to our local Main Dealer (Marshall's, in Welwyn GC) and guess what they told us after half an hour's diagnosis: we should change the fuel filter. Even though it was changed 5k miles ago!

They checked a bunch of other stuff "which was all fine". I will post up here when I have the list of specifics.

There can't be that much to go wrong in the fuel system, can there? I assume it's just a pump, a filter, some hoses and non-return valves, and the injectors / solenoids...?

iainmd Nov 1st, 2019 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al115 (Post 2348574)
They checked a bunch of other stuff "which was all fine". I will post up here when I have the list of specifics.

Old thread revival but what was the issue in the end? Our V50 has just started doing the same thing with the same fault codes.

Clan Nov 1st, 2019 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainmd (Post 2567719)
Old thread revival but what was the issue in the end? Our V50 has just started doing the same thing with the same fault codes.

The codes are both for low fuel pressure , in 9 times out of 10 it is the fuel filter ... otherwise it will need professional diagnosis .