Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Another powerpulse failure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304432)

VO11VLO Mar 10th, 2020 20:43

Another powerpulse failure

So i have noticed a few posts on here about powerpulse hose failures but until last week I have been lucky. End of last week i was driving up hill low speed and heard an almighty explosion - I thought my tyre had gone at first then realised it might have been the hose. Started to notice reduced performance, so i called dealership. Fortunately my car has 2 more weeks until the warranty expires!

Car went in today for that repair and 2 recalls - exhaust manifold software repair, and something else - ?would it have been intercooler - was that a recall on a 2017 V90 D5?

Anyway - when i collected the car they confirmed powerpulse hose failure, but when i went to drive car out there was an orange engine management light. The technician took the car back in and reset the light, took me for a test drive and all seemed fine until later on when i was driving home from work (5 miles later) when the car faltered and threw up warning messages - Engine system - reduced performance, then engine system - service urgent - drive to workshop with the tortoise symbol. I managed to get home as it wasn't far but the car was really labouring - over-revving, shuddering, vibrations at idle like misfiring? and very very slow and sluggish.

Have called volvo assist who are going to send 911 recovery truck - hopefully by 10pm! (2.5hrs).

Anyone any ideas? It's much worse now than just the powerpulse hose issue.

Thanks for any advice

JC888 Mar 10th, 2020 21:23

I've had my powerpulse hose failed 3 times now. I'm still awaiting reply from my dealership regarding a replacement but they are not responding.

Never noticed and EML light or reduced performance though. Perhaps slightly laggy at times.

VO11VLO Mar 10th, 2020 21:37

Hi

Three times! That's a worry. Which dealer are you using?

I only had a bit of turbo lag after the pipe went.

The warning lights and limp home mode only happened after it went for the repair and the recalls. I think the work they did must have caused another problem. It's very frustrating.

Sitting here waiting for recovery now....

JC888 Mar 10th, 2020 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by VO11VLO (Post 2608642)
Hi

Three times! That's a worry. Which dealer are you using?

I only had a bit of turbo lag after the pipe went.

The warning lights and limp home mode only happened after it went for the repair and the recalls. I think the work they did must have caused another problem. It's very frustrating.

Sitting here waiting for recovery now....

Oh dear, hopefully you get recovered soon. I believe you get free 1 year recovery service from Volvo if the servicing is done at an authorised dealership.

Don't really want to name the dealership at this point. To be fair I've only got time to email them but you'd expect some reply after 2 emails in 2+ weeks.

First time it was replaced during a service. Second time had to go in as heard the loud hiss. This is the third time after being advised after another service that the pipe requires replacing again.

Roosterb Mar 10th, 2020 22:28

And so it begins. My PP was fine until the first recall. Then noticed in the paperwork that they’d replaced it in December when car was in for other failures. That’s at least the 3rd replacement.

KNVXC90 Mar 10th, 2020 23:14

I once heard a bang after a 30 minute drive. Car was 2.5 year old then. At that point, I was already aware of the power pulse hose issue, thanks to the forum.

However, I did not experience any performance degradation and no warning lights.

So I continued to drive the car for the next 6 months and until the 3rd service. At 3rd service, it was indeed diagnosed as a power pulse hose issue, and it was replaced. No difference in performance though as it always has been adequate.

Lexman8 Mar 11th, 2020 10:10

I'm on my 3rd PP hose. No warning lights and only noticeable because of less oomph below 15 mph (PP doesn't operate above that speed).

jonnyu Mar 11th, 2020 10:17

At this point I'm glad I didn't pay the extra 8k for the D5 engine.

VO11VLO Mar 11th, 2020 18:19

Quick update - volvo assist said they would send 91 recovery - but hadn't arrived by 11pm - so we re-arranged for the morning. Arrived on time and it's in the dealer now - no diagnosis yet!

Yep seems to be very common problem on these engines then - dealer told me that too, and that volvo will cover it under warraty until car is 4 years old. (But then what?)

VO11VLO Mar 11th, 2020 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyu (Post 2608741)
At this point I'm glad I didn't pay the extra 8k for the D5 engine.

I know what you mean! I really wanted 4WD though...