Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Parked Next to.... (for 945/Wentworth Obsessives) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=4124)

Wentworth Jan 6th, 2005 15:13

Parked Next to.... (for 945/Wentworth Obsessives)

Hmmmm.

So I pull in to a car park and the only available space is next to a stunning '95 Wentworth. Its deep burgundy red, full leather, alloys, roof bars... you get the picture.

My car is CAKED with road grime at the moment. Alloys are black. The screens have that "letterbox" look where washers and wipers have done their job. I'm seriously contemplating moving the car at this point, but decide instead that parking face out will at least show off my VOC badge, and my "rival" will know that I do love my car after all.

After parking up I had a little nosey (of course!) and it turns out that "his" car has only done 87k.

87k! Its not even run in. Felt much better about my workhorse after that. With her miles she can be forgiven for looking less than her best :)

I'm hoping that when he returned to his car he did the same as me, saw my girl's mileage and showed some respect!

Cheers,
Paul.

George Holmer Jan 8th, 2005 16:41

RE: Parked Next to.... (for 945/Wentworth Obsessives)

One must always aim to park as closely as one can to a Volvo, this is important so that the cars can have some company whilst we humans go shopping or whatever. It is also a question of being part of an exclusive club of people with brains enough to buy proper cars, and no, I am not being sarcastic.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 Volvo 945 Polar LPT
'87 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2

colin Jan 8th, 2005 23:09

I can never get my head around claptrap like this ,insinuating the cars have souls and giving them names like pets.
Any car is just a chunk of tin,castings,plastic(far to much nowdays) and rubber.
The things will let you down only on a cold rainy night on an unlit road in the middle of nowhere or on the outside lane of the motorway halfway past an artic.
They will not respond to any form of endearments or giving them the best polish in the street.

ivor940 Jan 9th, 2005 10:06

Why not get a second VOC badge for the tailgate? Put in an area wiped by rear wiper ( then VOC members can know they are following another member). I would like to know if the club sells extra VOC stickers ( or consider giving 2 with welcome pack ) since some members have more than 1 Volvo. ps: My wife did not appreciate me waving at other Volvo 740/940 estates while on holiday in Yorkshire last year.

ivor940

Citizen.Agfa Jan 9th, 2005 10:14

Then what the hell are you doing on this forum?

Nick.

colin Jan 9th, 2005 12:48

So you're one of these saddos who treat your lump of metal as a living thing then?.
As to my post I'm sorry for having an opinion that obviously does not fall in line with your's.
It would be a dull old world if we were all the same.

Wentworth Jan 10th, 2005 22:19

Ivor940,

Now you're talking!!!!

How about a special Volvo Wave (inspired by the "hang loose" gesture VW Camper drivers use) it could be a reverse Vulcan greeting (ie knuckles outwards), kinda sideways to show how at ease we are in our bricks.

Come to think of it, other drivers have been trying to give me a V sign quite regularly... its obviously cos they are jealous of the brick!

Cheers,
Paul.

ivor940 Jan 11th, 2005 07:40

Probably they can't understand a FASTbrick!

ivor940
94 940 2.0 SE Turbo Estate 5 spd 148k

flashingblade Jan 11th, 2005 13:14

your quite right colin it is rather sad the way some people really do appear to think their car has some sort of human qualities about it it is after all as you say a lump of plastic ,tin and rubber built in a factory the same as thousands of others, some people really do need to get a life!