Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Other XC90 Problem: Noise from under the bonnet (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299048)

k saunders Sep 30th, 2019 19:17

Noise from under the bonnet

Hi, I have an xc90 T6 AWD, 5 days ago I heard/felt a strange noise while accelerating. but when I lifted my foot of the accelerator the noise diminished. I have not driven it since as I am not sure if it is safe to drive or if I will cause more problems trying to get it to a garage. Has anybody out there had any thing similar. Any thoughts or advice welcomed.
cheers.
Keith

gmonag Sep 30th, 2019 21:49

That sounds like the sort of symptoms my wife describes to me over the phone when I am 5000 miles away...

If you don't have any other warnings/lights it should be OK to drive to a garage.

oragex Oct 1st, 2019 13:38

How many miles on it ? I would at least have a look at the serpentine belt, and perhaps also to the cambelt and its pulleys/water pump - depending on what was already done, and also with which part brands

prjames Oct 2nd, 2019 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by k saunders (Post 2558521)
Hi, I have an xc90 T6 AWD, 5 days ago I heard/felt a strange noise while accelerating. but when I lifted my foot of the accelerator the noise diminished. I have not driven it since as I am not sure if it is safe to drive or if I will cause more problems trying to get it to a garage. Has anybody out there had any thing similar. Any thoughts or advice welcomed.
cheers.
Keith

Recently sorted a "similar" scenario with our XC90. Sort of a whooshing/wheezy noise.
Turned out to be low power steering fluid. Luckily no damage done and a simple top up remedied the noise. Will however keep checking it in case of a leak somewhere.
A clear reservoir would be nice here.

Worth checking?

k saunders Oct 3rd, 2019 18:26

Hi all
Thanks to the those who offered advice on my problem, I knew the information was slim but that's all I had.
I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Keith Saunders

k saunders Oct 22nd, 2019 15:12

Hi again, I have had a couple of garages look at it but they are unsure of the problem at this point. The answer coming back is that it could be either the gear box or the transfer box. either way it sounds expensive.. The advice is to drive it for the time being until the fault can be identified.
The car is a 2003 plate so not sure it would be worth the expense.
Any advise from the more knowledgeable appreciated. Cheers.

AidXC90 Oct 23rd, 2019 23:27

Can you describe the noise?

k saunders Oct 24th, 2019 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AidXC90 (Post 2565486)
Can you describe the noise?

Hi, I'll do my best. When you first start the engine and pull away you can hear a ticking noise best described as if you put a stick in the spokes of a bike wheel. then when driving it sounds like a noisy dry joint, but if you slip it into neutral for a few seconds while moving the noise disappears.
Hope this helps.
thanks for your interest.

AidXC90 Oct 24th, 2019 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by k saunders (Post 2565695)
Hi, I'll do my best. When you first start the engine and pull away you can hear a ticking noise best described as if you put a stick in the spokes of a bike wheel. then when driving it sounds like a noisy dry joint, but if you slip it into neutral for a few seconds while moving the noise disappears.
Hope this helps.
thanks for your interest.

Well I'm no expert but perhaps more knowledgeable form members may have an idea now that we have your description. I'd guess it is transmission related as your garage said. I mean, what else could it be?

paddy74 Oct 25th, 2019 12:56

Are there any error codes (read with VIDA)? Can be anything drive train related, transmission, Haldex, rear diff.....