Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 2L tiny buzz vibration through accelerator pedal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301233)

chandra Dec 4th, 2019 15:33

C30 2L tiny buzz vibration through accelerator pedal

only 50K miles but at 65-70mph in 5th I get a very small buzzy type vibration through accelerator pedal only, no steering wheel vibration or anything else.

I really dont think it has anything to do with wheel balance/tyres or anything serious like DMF. Pretty sure it is nothing major.

Suspect that this tiny buzzy vibration is due to engine mounts starting to wear ? but at only 7-8 years?

Thanks to anyone with experience of engine mount repalcement (@lockstock I know you have been though various problem solving with your C30)

lockstock Dec 4th, 2019 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandra (Post 2577835)
only 50K miles but at 65-70mph in 5th I get a very small buzzy type vibration through accelerator pedal only, no steering wheel vibration or anything else.

I really dont think it has anything to do with wheel balance/tyres or anything serious like DMF. Pretty sure it is nothing major.

Suspect that this tiny buzzy vibration is due to engine mounts starting to wear ? but at only 7-8 years?

Thanks to anyone with experience of engine mount repalcement (@lockstock I know you have been though various problem solving with your C30)

almost certainly engine mounts ime. But I have come to suspect the 2l has a resonance issue at 2-2.5k rpm. nothing to worry about but this manifests at 65ish in 5th. I think it comes through subframe and so you feel it in accelerator. I think the main culpret is the torque mount, mine was in bad shape. If I replaced again Id go for the focus e-mount. I beleive its a straight swap. The other is in the left as you face the engine bay, mine was totally perished at 80k. The third one under battery tray was actually still in decent shape so I'd doubt thats any issue at 50k. mine appeared to have a minor manufacture defect in it so I swapped it. I still get the vibration but was greatly reduced by the torque mount and the left as you face car engine mount.

chandra Dec 5th, 2019 11:44

Cheers Lockstock (as usual you have been very helpful, much appreciated)

I think once the Spring comes I will replace the torque mount just as a precautionary.

The 'Febest' mounts look as good as any.

As a side note, had my aux belt done which is a fixed stretch belt, so unlike yours which has non stretch and an auto tensioner. So far no loud cold morning chirping.......touch wood.

lockstock Dec 5th, 2019 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandra (Post 2578075)
Cheers Lockstock (as usual you have been very helpful, much appreciated)

I think once the Spring comes I will replace the torque mount just as a precautionary.

The 'Febest' mounts look as good as any.

As a side note, had my aux belt done which is a fixed stretch belt, so unlike yours which has non stretch and an auto tensioner. So far no loud cold morning chirping.......touch wood.

if you get after market one, remember they improved the design, so some aftermarket ones may be old and inferior. I think the volvo torque mount was under £80 and a quick job. since the labour is so cheap you could gamble on an after market one. if it fails after a year, no big loss