Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Panoramic Sunroof in the XC90 - Is it worth it? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301236)

Moonlanders Dec 4th, 2019 18:13

Panoramic Sunroof in the XC90 - Is it worth it?

Whilst the panoramic sunroof really does look good, in the UK is it worth paying extra for it, or is it just one more thing to go wrong? It costs £1,295 to add (slightly cheaper if bought as part of the Xenium pack).

I tend to think the greenhouse effect on the 2 hot summer days per year and another mechanical part to squeak and creak after a couple of years!

I'll probably end up adding it on, but curious to know people's thoughts on the pros and cons.

Thanks.

techwatcher Dec 4th, 2019 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlanders (Post 2577872)
Whilst the panoramic sunroof really does look good, in the UK is it worth paying extra for it, or is it just one more thing to go wrong? It costs £1,295 to add (slightly cheaper if bought as part of the Xenium pack).

I tend to think the greenhouse effect on the 2 hot summer days per year and another mechanical part to squeak and creak after a couple of years!

I'll probably end up adding it on, but curious to know people's thoughts on the pros and cons.

Thanks.

I have it on my XC60 and think it's a worthwhile extra. It certainly brightens the interior and you notice its absence when you're in a car without it.

One minor downside is the sunroof bit is controlled by the same multifunction switch that also controls the sunshade. There's a bit of a knack to just opening the sunroof or just opening the sunroof; it takes a little getting used to.

warwick Dec 4th, 2019 18:36

I have the XC60 and have been pleased with the sunroof (the previous Merc Roof did start to rattle) this one hasn't so far after twelve months. Its a pity manufacturers don`t simply off a non opening version, just a glass roof as it is rare that we fully open the roof

Lozzingers Dec 4th, 2019 18:40

Hi,
We don't have it in our XC90 as particularly look for cars without. Mainly as I am 6'3" and I find it reduces headroom in the back/middle seats. Depending on your height I would sit in one with and without prior to purchase. The sales woman when I went ridiculed my thoughts and said you get more headroom - maybe when it's open"(we didn't buy from her needless to say...)
Good luck!

ergonomist Dec 4th, 2019 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by warwick (Post 2577879)
I have the XC60 and have been pleased with the sunroof (the previous Merc Roof did start to rattle) this one hasn't so far after twelve months. Its a pity manufacturers don`t simply off a non opening version, just a glass roof as it is rare that we fully open the roof

Agree - really like having the glass roof but rarely open it. Partly because when it is open I get a huge amount of glare on the sensus screen to the extent that it can be almost unreadable...

Moonlanders Dec 4th, 2019 18:43

Thanks. 5'7" so should be OK on that score (thinking of asking for the booster seat on the drivers seat!!)

Skep Dec 4th, 2019 18:46

I’m on my second XC90, first didn’t have the panoramic roof, my current one does. Whilst I wasn’t overly bothered about it, it made sense with the extras I wanted to order the Xenium pack so ended up with it. The kids love it, but I never really open it, why would you with the climate control. It certainly brightens the interior, esp with the black headlining on the R Design. It’s also good to keep an eye on my bike when it’s on the roof 😂. Would I spec it again if I didn’t need to...... probably

Begonia Dec 4th, 2019 19:10

The Xenium package adds:

* a powered tilt and slide panoramic glass sunroof
* a 360 deg surround view parking camera system
* Park Assist Pilot, which includes automatic parallel and 90 deg parking.

So I wouldn't be without the Xenium pack, let alone the sunshine roof which is for me, just a very worthwhile bonus to the other very important and very valuable Xenium stuff. :cool:

I back out of my Tesco parking space using only the 360 camera with reliance on the very powerful and efficient sensors which cleverly detect approaching people and vehicles

Duri13 Dec 4th, 2019 19:16

I am also 190cm tall (6'3") and no problem with the headroom even with a sunroof. I took the sunroof within the Xenium package. I wanted head-up display and then I decided the price difference to Xenium is worth the sunroof. And no regrets. I barely notice it but kids love it. And yes, there is more light in the interior. The negative (not very big) is that it gets warmer inside in summer so I have to close the curtain, then it is fine. The climate in Lux is I think very similar to UK, many cloudy & rainy days so more light inside is nice :)

Boatie Dec 4th, 2019 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duri13 (Post 2577905)
I am also 190cm tall (6'3") and no problem with the headroom even with a sunroof. I took the sunroof within the Xenium package. I wanted head-up display and then I decided the price difference to Xenium is worth the sunroof. And no regrets. I barely notice it but kids love it. And yes, there is more light in the interior. The negative (not very big) is that it gets warmer inside in summer so I have to close the curtain, then it is fine. The climate in Lux is I think very similar to UK, many cloudy & rainy days so more light inside is nice :)

When I bought my V90 new in 2017 the one 'must have' was a sunroof. I went for the package that included the 360 cameras. Money well spent. If I had to I would dump the air con before the roof. The blind closes automatically at 25c when parked. Can't say if it happens on the move. Much brighter as well.