Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Crazy cheap engine oil in Asda. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296274)

clarkey1984 Jul 3rd, 2019 21:16

Crazy cheap engine oil in Asda.

2 Attachment(s)
For anyone who might be interested, 5w30 fully synthetic oil is on sale in Asda for £3, 5l cans, I bought all 4 they had, that'll see me through about 3 years of oil changes I reckon, hell of a deal I thought, I know it says for VW engines but the specs seem ok so I can't see that it makes a lot of difference.

magnuz Jul 4th, 2019 14:05

Are we trying to wake the resident oil guru, who's not been here for a while ?

CharlesStevenson Jul 4th, 2019 14:38

As magnuz commented, there are some people on here who are VERY knowledgeable on what is the correct oil to use, however, I'm sure what you've purchased will do good service in what is not the newest of engines (nothing bad about your car meant) just that all x40's are a few years past their prime by now.

canis Jul 4th, 2019 15:59

Bah, y'all take this too seriously. Given the perspective of "any oil is better than none", it's probably fine. What i mean is; Maybe there are differences, but they're too small to really be bothering with in the grand scheme of things.

Engines will wear no matter what oil you put in them. You could add ground unicorn horn mixture to the oil - it'll still wear eventually. It's a machine. When they break, you replace the parts.

I have no faith in these magic potions at all. All the silly detergents and this-n-that. I would hazard that 90% of it is all marketing bullshut.

Consider toothpaste. You got an entire aisle of toothpaste in ASDA, each promissing a plethora of different effects. But in reality - brushing your teeth with anything will help prevent decay, but they'll decay anyway in the end.

I ran my 1600 on 10/40W semi-synthetic for absolutely years, no ill effects whatsoever.

CJL Jul 4th, 2019 18:01

Have the got fill dates on them?

Might be old stock they are selling at a loss.

clarkey1984 Jul 4th, 2019 18:22

I'm the same, oil is oil, provided it's the right grade or at least close, moreso on an engine that's approaching 190k, for that price you can't go wrong, and not old stock either as the manufacture date is 13/06/19, which is odd as to why it was so cheap, good enough for me though.

bimmer49 Jul 4th, 2019 19:23

Whilst I am in the "any oil is better than low/no oil " camp:
I've switched to 0w30 for the sake of the drillings in my VVT! However changing my VVT did nothing for power, emissions or fuel consumption, just got rid of the idle "purr!

We're talking "old" engines here in this forum. Switch to later vehicles and "Low SAPS" oil is dedicated to later Euro 5 diesels in order to not block fine drillings particularly in the timing chain tensioner region. Many a Ford, Fiat or VM engine has failed from "any old oil will do" attitude.

XC90Mk1 Jul 4th, 2019 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJL (Post 2533732)
Have the got fill dates on them?

Might be old stock they are selling at a loss.

I purchased Castrol 0w30 from tesco in 2016. The oil was 4 pounds per 2.5l and I got enough to change every 6k from 40,000 to 100,000 miles (bottles and bottles).

I wrote to castrol to ask about sell by dates and was informed that stored in a cool dry area and upopened there is no expiry date but to agitate the container to mix before using.

cheshired5 Jul 4th, 2019 22:21

Oil (or anything else) doesn't become more correct if it's dirt cheap.

By that logic, a free barrel of waste beef dripping must also be acceptable. Oil is oil after all...... Apparently. :wac_err:

Whyman Jul 5th, 2019 03:22

Possibly someone entered the wrong price an maybe it should have been £30?