Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   740 B230E Cruise Control (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308462)

panda529e699 Jul 31st, 2020 18:39

740 B230E Cruise Control

Hi

Have been about fitting cruise control, and wondered if the B230E K-Jet ever had this as an option?

Reason am asking is, Volvorecycledrelics have the parts for the B200/230F, but haveing sent pictures over to them Russell replied that I would need to source the engine bits, throttle bobbin cable, actuator and bracket, they have the rest, so thats the hurdle at the minute.

If they were I could start trying to find one, if even possible.

Many Thanks

Andrew

Laird Scooby Jul 31st, 2020 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by panda529e699 (Post 2652163)
Hi

Have been about fitting cruise control, and wondered if the B230E K-Jet ever had this as an option?

Reason am asking is, Volvorecycledrelics have the parts for the B200/230F, but haveing sent pictures over to them Russell replied that I would need to source the engine bits, throttle bobbin cable, actuator and bracket, they have the rest, so thats the hurdle at the minute.

If they were I could start trying to find one, if even possible.

Many Thanks

Andrew

I don't think the K-Jet cars had this option Andrew, might be wrong though. That said if you can find an early (re87) 760 V6, you should be able to find the throttle drum, actuator and bracket to mount the actuator or even a later B230Fx but be prepared for some modification whatever you get.

I recently fitted an aftermarket cruise system to my 760 and had to do a bit of jiggery pokery to connect the cruise actuator cable to the throttle drum. Got a few bits left over from the kit, you'd be welcome to them if they might be any help.

If not, i can give you some ideas if i know what you've got and what you need.

swedish brick Jul 31st, 2020 23:05

1 Attachment(s)
My 88 B230E has it...

...sort of. It doesn’t work anymore as the cable is missing! But it’s there still!

Laird Scooby Jul 31st, 2020 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by swedish brick (Post 2652221)
My 88 B230E has it...

...sort of. It doesn’t work anymore as the cable is missing! But it’s there still!

Kickdown doesn't work properly either does it? :thinking:

The missing cable there is the kickdown cable, someone has replaced it with the cruise control cable and not updated the thorttle drum for cruise when they've started adding it.

swedish brick Aug 1st, 2020 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2652227)
Kickdown doesn't work properly either does it? :thinking:

The missing cable there is the kickdown cable, someone has replaced it with the cruise control cable and not updated the thorttle drum for cruise when they've started adding it.

Spot on!
I’m probably going rip it all off and put it back as it should be to be honest!
Kickdown is more important!

Laird Scooby Aug 1st, 2020 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by swedish brick (Post 2652278)
Spot on!
I’m probably going rip it all off and put it back as it should be to be honest!
Kickdown is more important!

Ihink you'll have a potential buyer for the actuator and bracket then! :thumbs_up:

panda529e699 Aug 1st, 2020 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2652280)
Ihink you'll have a potential buyer for the actuator and bracket then! :thumbs_up:

Thanks for the info, it's getting clearer now. I did forget to say the car is a manual, so assuming I have understand properly an auto version of the k jet would suit. Would certainly snap that up should it become available.

swedish brick Aug 1st, 2020 11:37

1 Attachment(s)
Just been out and had a look at mine...

It is all there! The throttle cable comes off the top of the round spool, kickdown cable comes off the bottom of the spool in the same rough place as the throttle cable, then the cruise control cable comes off the spool on its own, then goes up to the actuator, but something’s missing between them. The cable just ends!

So why was my kickdown not working!? A drive up the road, reveals that it is working after all!? Plus, if I pull the spool around it does clearly pull the kickdown cable.

swedish brick Aug 1st, 2020 11:45

I can’t upload the photos of the cruise control actuator, for some reason this site won’t do it!?
On the back of the actuator is a vacuum hose, on the front is a connection for something to then attach to the cable. Whatever was meant to be in between them is not there. Plus I’m sure there should be more on the back aswell as a vacuum hose?
I don’t really get cruise tbh, nor know how it works! The controls are fitted on the stalk inside the car though.

Laird Scooby Aug 1st, 2020 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by swedish brick (Post 2652313)
Just been out and had a look at mine...

It is all there! The throttle cable comes off the top of the round spool, kickdown cable comes off the bottom of the spool in the same rough place as the throttle cable, then the cruise control cable comes off the spool on its own, then goes up to the actuator, but something’s missing between them. The cable just ends!

So why was my kickdown not working!? A drive up the road, reveals that it is working after all!? Plus, if I pull the spool around it does clearly pull the kickdown cable.

Despite enlarging your original pic (see below) i can't see it clearly enough to see if something is missing or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swedish brick (Post 2652317)
I can’t upload the photos of the cruise control actuator, for some reason this site won’t do it!?
On the back of the actuator is a vacuum hose, on the front is a connection for something to then attach to the cable. Whatever was meant to be in between them is not there. Plus I’m sure there should be more on the back aswell as a vacuum hose?
I don’t really get cruise tbh, nor know how it works! The controls are fitted on the stalk inside the car though.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...2&d=1596233015

Should be an electrical plug and a vacuum hose on the back of the actuator - i've had another look and still can't see the kickdown cable in that original pic you posted.