Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   R design with tow bar (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274413)

chambersp Oct 29th, 2017 20:51

R design with tow bar

I have just picked up my new xc90 r design with the electrical deplorable tow bar
The garage has what looks like hacksawed a semicircle out of the lowest bit of number trim. Has anyone else with an r design had the same issue I will try and post a photo but it looks a bit amateur

DavidC R Nov 2nd, 2017 11:37

same, but I was made aware of the requirement to do this when ordering.

you'll probably be the only person who spots it!

seems like a little more thought at design stage could have overcome this.

AB-UK Nov 2nd, 2017 15:19

"deplorable" = deserving strong condemnation; completely unacceptable; also shockingly bad in quality.

nu11eaf Nov 2nd, 2017 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2333815)
"deplorable" = deserving strong condemnation; completely unacceptable; also shockingly bad in quality.

It is truly deplorable to cut your car for a deplorable towbar.
Joking aside I have an elecric deployable towbar too and when others on here complained about the bumper being cut to fit them I posted that mine had not been cut, but on close inspection I found it had, but you have to look very hard to spot it and it is a neat job. I agree that they should be designed so no cutting is required.

AB-UK Nov 2nd, 2017 18:43

There should at the very least be a Volvo factory approved template to ensure any cutting away is uniform and the minimum necessary.

Clan Nov 2nd, 2017 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2333920)
There should at the very least be a Volvo factory approved template to ensure any cutting away is uniform and the minimum necessary.

The cutting line is marked on the rear of the bumper casing ..

Director76 Nov 3rd, 2017 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2333841)
It is truly deplorable to cut your car for a deplorable towbar.
Joking aside I have an elecric deployable towbar too and when others on here complained about the bumper being cut to fit them I posted that mine had not been cut, but on close inspection I found it had, but you have to look very hard to spot it and it is a neat job. I agree that they should be designed so no cutting is required.

Hi - could you post a picture please? I have a T8 RD on order with towbar, assumed that it would be factory fit with minimal / no bumper cut. Are they all dealer fit then?

I had read about variable cut size from accessory fit bars, but assumed these were different to the factory option? My current Touareg bar is completely invisible when not in use.

Maybe I need to prime the dealer not to botch it if it's going to be fitted pre delivery

Thanks all
D76

pagan8c Nov 3rd, 2017 01:40

I have the factory fit towbar as well and the only way I can see the cut is by lying on the floor under the back of the car. The cut on mine is neat and as I said when not deployed there is no sign that a towbar is fitted. When deployed it is a very good bit of kit and linked in with the trailer stability programme on the car . It stops the rear sensors from going off but the rear camera on mine has the system which allows me to line the car up with the hitch. I know it is not cheap but I for one think it is worth every penny.

familymangreg Nov 3rd, 2017 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Director76 (Post 2334060)
Hi - could you post a picture please? I have a T8 RD on order with towbar, assumed that it would be factory fit with minimal / no bumper cut. Are they all dealer fit then?

I had read about variable cut size from accessory fit bars, but assumed these were different to the factory option? My current Touareg bar is completely invisible when not in use.

Maybe I need to prime the dealer not to botch it if it's going to be fitted pre delivery

Thanks all
D76

This is where I'm still a little uncertain. I added the tow bar on my Inscription from new, but I'm not 100% sure whether it was fitted at the factory or as part of the dealer PDI. In the car configurator and priceless, its listed as an accessory rather than an option.

However it was done, as others have said on here, its a really tidy job and unless you get down really low behind the car, you wouldn't know one was fitted.

I suppose that because a section of the trim underneath is cut rather than replaced, its only as neat as the guy with the hacksaw.

Personally if the job looks untidy I think I'd go back to the dealer and let them know you aren't happy.

The Bully

chambersp Nov 3rd, 2017 09:09

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 108366

Attachment 108367

Here are pictures of mine could one of you attach a picture of your cut I certainly wasn't advised beforehand and when I first saw it thought I'd run over something and taken a chunk out of the bumper!