Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Service interval (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300801)

davedru Nov 20th, 2019 15:33

Service interval

I have a MY2015 XC60, D4204T5 engine (as obtained through VIDA).

I'm due my 5th service now at ~57000 .

The first 3 appear to have been carried out by Doves Volvo in Preston at 9425, 22417 and 33683 respectively.
It was serviced (4th) prior to my buying the car at 46865 by the car dealership.

My local Volvo dealership (Sheffield) have quoted £860 for the 5th ("full manufacturers") service. The high cost was explained through using genuine parts, VAT, a health check and the need for both cambelt and aux belt to be replaced.

The maintenance service schedule here, states that the aux belt and timing belt, and associated tensioners and pulleys, don't need replacing until 10 years or 144,000 miles on Volvo S60, V60, XC60 D4 181 hp D4204T5, made / sold in 2014, 2015. Am I right in thinking they've probably quoted me for a D5, which I've read on here needs these replacing at 56000?

As the 4th service wasn't carried out by Volvo, and it no longer has any warranty, is there any point in having a main dealer do this service? I'm not sure how confident I am in the Sheffield branch anyway - either they don't know there own service schedules, or they're banking on me not checking and quite happy to fleece me.

Assuming I have it serviced by a local indy Volvo garage (recommendations around South Yorks welcome :)), will the main dealer still offer system updates? I assume there will be a charge involved with this? What are the chances of the local indy garage being able to supply any updates?

TIA, Dave

Dash300 Nov 20th, 2019 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedru (Post 2573832)
I have a MY2015 XC60, D4204T5 engine (as obtained through VIDA).

I'm due my 5th service now at ~57000 .

The first 3 appear to have been carried out by Doves Volvo in Preston at 9425, 22417 and 33683 respectively.
It was serviced (4th) prior to my buying the car at 46865 by the car dealership.

My local Volvo dealership (Sheffield) have quoted £860 for the 5th ("full manufacturers") service. The high cost was explained through using genuine parts, VAT, a health check and the need for both cambelt and aux belt to be replaced.

The maintenance service schedule here, states that the aux belt and timing belt, and associated tensioners and pulleys, don't need replacing until 10 years or 144,000 miles on Volvo S60, V60, XC60 D4 181 hp D4204T5, made / sold in 2014, 2015. Am I right in thinking they've probably quoted me for a D5, which I've read on here needs these replacing at 56000?

As the 4th service wasn't carried out by Volvo, and it no longer has any warranty, is there any point in having a main dealer do this service? I'm not sure how confident I am in the Sheffield branch anyway - either they don't know there own service schedules, or they're banking on me not checking and quite happy to fleece me.

Assuming I have it serviced by a local indy Volvo garage (recommendations around South Yorks welcome :)), will the main dealer still offer system updates? I assume there will be a charge involved with this? What are the chances of the local indy garage being able to supply any updates?

TIA, Dave

The VEA engine cambelt change used to be 108k or 10 years. Now revised down to 90k or 10 years whichever comes soonest.

davedru Nov 20th, 2019 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash300 (Post 2573861)
The VEA engine cambelt change used to be 108k or 10 years. Now revised down to 90k or 10 years whichever comes soonest.

Either way, it's not due yet then :rolleyes:

HDAV Nov 20th, 2019 17:23

Software updates you should get them all included with the service at main dealer, but possibly not at independents and 12 months Volvo on call.... shop around and ring a few others might get it down significantly lower

Zebster Nov 20th, 2019 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedru (Post 2573832)
Am I right in thinking they've probably quoted me for a D5, which I've read on here needs these replacing at 56000?

It does look like it.

As already said, the VEA cam belt replacement has been reduced to 90k miles (still 10 years).

davedru Nov 20th, 2019 18:26

I'll speak with Doncaster and Chesterfield Volvo then, and see what they quote.

If I go via an independent, will the dealer still do software updates for me, at a cost?

Are there any links anywhere, other than the one that I referred to, which show the relevant service interval? Where is it started that VEA engines are now 90k/10 years? I'm not doubting anyone, I just want to be well informed for when I speak to Volvo 😉.

HDAV Nov 20th, 2019 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedru (Post 2573897)
I'll speak with Doncaster and Chesterfield Volvo then, and see what they quote.

If I go via an independent, will the dealer still do software updates for me, at a cost?

Are there any links anywhere, other than the one that I referred to, which show the relevant service interval? Where is it started that VEA engines are now 90k/10 years? I'm not doubting anyone, I just want to be well informed for when I speak to Volvo 😉.

Try here

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...ntenance/book/

Coming up as 4yr 72k service £470 at doves Preston £440 at Huddersfield

Dash300 Nov 20th, 2019 20:36

When the time comes it makes sense to get both the Cam belt kit and Aux belt kit done at the same time. Start saving!

Tannaton Nov 20th, 2019 20:45

I think they are quoting you for their staff Christmas Party because the cambelt is not due at that age or mileage....

Zebster Nov 20th, 2019 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2573923)
Try here

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...ntenance/book/

Coming up as 4yr 72k service £470 at doves Preston £440 at Huddersfield

My 5 year service is coming up early next year and the Volvo website is quoting a whopping £895... Presumably because it also assumes my car is on 90k miles and needs a cambelt change. However I assume I can have this task removed as my car is someway below that mileage?

SeaShell Nov 20th, 2019 22:01

I would still like to find out why it was revised down to 90k. There must be many VEA cars running around with well over 100k on the original belt. Indeed many cars not being serviced by Volvo will probably not be getting their belts done if the owners are following the schedule in the service record.

Indeed if I was not in the forum and hasn't had the issues with my car, I wouldn't even be considering a timing belt for another five years at least.

HDAV Nov 23rd, 2019 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2573961)
My 5 year service is coming up early next year and the Volvo website is quoting a whopping £895... Presumably because it also assumes my car is on 90k miles and needs a cambelt change. However I assume I can have this task removed as my car is someway below that mileage?

Timing belt change is a recommendation.....often cars used in applications such as taxi, towing or other high stress environments (extreme hot and cold etc) the reconnections are different not just for the belts but also fluids.

Speak to a few dealers often they do offers on doing belts etc

Zebster Nov 23rd, 2019 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2574609)
Timing belt change is a recommendation.....often cars used in applications such as taxi, towing or other high stress environments (extreme hot and cold etc) the reconnections are different not just for the belts but also fluids.

Speak to a few dealers often they do offers on doing belts etc

I was actually wanting them NOT to do it! Service is due in January, but I don't expect to reach 90k miles until the following year. Unfortunately the quote I got appears to assume that a five year old car is on 90k and therefore needs a replacement belt.

HDAV Nov 23rd, 2019 20:53

online quote tool will but dealer will do what you pay for......

Zebster Nov 23rd, 2019 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2574759)
online quote tool will but dealer will do what you pay for......

I would be interested in finding out what's the minimum a dealer would do at service time and still stamp the service booklet...

SeaShell Nov 24th, 2019 01:07

Please can someone still answer why the interval has been reduced?? I have asked this on previous threads with no comments. Is the cost being to passed from the fleet user to the private buyer once the majority of cars are outside their four year company car lease plans.

Please challenge me on this assessment.

Zebster Nov 24th, 2019 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaShell (Post 2574787)
Please can someone still answer why the interval has been reduced?? I have asked this on previous threads with no comments. Is the cost being to passed from the fleet user to the private buyer once the majority of cars are outside their four year company car lease plans.

Surely reducing the cambelt replacement interval has the opposite outcome... the car is more likely to exceed 90k whilst still in the ownership of a lease hire company, therefore increasing their costs.

I would also be interested to know why the interval was reduced.

SeaShell Nov 24th, 2019 10:11

Zebster, I agree for new vehicles, but the majority of the previous generation V60's are either out of or probably nearing the end of their contract periods.

Zebster Nov 24th, 2019 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaShell (Post 2574820)
Zebster, I agree for new vehicles, but the majority of the previous generation V60's are either out of or probably nearing the end of their contract periods.

Ah, sorry. So you're suggesting that an exaggerated service interval may have been originally recommended to make VEA Volvo models appear more attractive to leasehire/fleet buyers? An interesting theory!

Clan Nov 24th, 2019 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaShell (Post 2574787)

volvo have not published why . It started with the emergency services vehicles who first had the interval changed to 50000 miles, maybe there were a couple of incidents with them ... I have never heard of any problems whatsoever with the belts on these engines , they are much more robust that the old 5 cylinder belts ..

Zebster Nov 24th, 2019 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2574838)
volvo have not published why . It started with the emergency services vehicles who first had the interval changed to 50000 miles, maybe there were a couple of incidents with them ... I have never heard of any problems whatsoever with the belts on these engines , they are much more robust that the old 5 cylinder belts ..

So you reckon I could safely wait until a service AFTER it's done more than 90k to get it replaced, rather than proactively having it done ready for it to reach 90k?

How difficult is it to replace as a DIY? Obviously I'll need to download VIDA for detailed guidance, but are dedicated tools required?

Clan Nov 24th, 2019 13:00

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2574856)
So you reckon I could safely wait until a service AFTER it's done more than 90k to get it replaced, rather than proactively having it done ready for it to reach 90k?

How difficult is it to replace as a DIY? Obviously I'll need to download VIDA for detailed guidance, but are dedicated tools required?

As they say 90000 I would get it done at 90000 ... even if it is between services ..
The method is similar to the 5 cylinder D5 except the fuel pump is driven off the cambelt and a round locking pin is needed , The pump is timed to the belt so that the heavy pulses needed to drive the pump do not coincide with the valve opening pulses from the camshafts .. The vida instructions are quite clear

Zebster Nov 24th, 2019 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2574864)
As they say 90000 I would get it done at 90000 ... even if it is between services ..
The method is similar to the 5 cylinder D5 except the fuel pump is driven off the cambelt and a round locking pin is needed , The pump is timed to the belt so that the heavy pulses needed to drive the pump do not coincide with the valve opening pulses from the camshafts .. The vida instructions are quite clear

And that special tool is definitely needed and can't be improvised? When I replaced the chains on my Accord the official manual had a list of special tools, but all could be improvised without much trouble (using a masonry drill shaft to make a long 8mm locking drift, for example, which is a bit what that looks like).

I can find that Volvo tool 999 7233 but it's £35 so does eat into the DIY savings for a job I'll only ever do once!

Clan Nov 24th, 2019 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2574868)
And that special tool is definitely needed and can't be improvised? When I replaced the chains on my Accord the official manual had a list of special tools, but all could be improvised without much trouble (using a masonry drill shaft to make a long 8mm locking drift, for example, which is a bit what that looks like).

I can find that Volvo tool 999 7233 but it's £35 so does eat into the DIY savings for a job I'll only ever do once!

well you could find a piece of rod 6 or 8 or 10 mm diameter which ever it is ..

SeaShell Nov 24th, 2019 17:52

Zebster, that's correct....no belt to replace and extended service periods are just what fleet managers want...good for the balance sheet!

HDAV Nov 24th, 2019 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2574868)
And that special tool is definitely needed and can't be improvised?

Or just buy it and sell it on eBay afterwards..... buy for £35 sell for £25 afterwards? Or do some sort of pass it along system

Bloke Nov 25th, 2019 10:54

For those of us with the 5yr service plan, would this be included?

Clan Nov 25th, 2019 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke (Post 2575085)
For those of us with the 5yr service plan, would this be included?

They should have included it by now , it was announced back in the spring ...regarding the cambelt .. I wonder what happens with plans already purchased ...

Bloke Nov 25th, 2019 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2575091)
They should have included it by now , it was announced back in the spring ...regarding the cambelt .. I wonder what happens with plans already purchased ...

I guess I'll find out in Jan when mines booked in. Would be nice to have an idea beforehand. They SHOULD include it, but I imagine they might not as it wasn't due at that time when the plan was purchased.

Turnwood Nov 25th, 2019 13:35

For what it’s worth, no issues with my car before the cam belt was changed at the original 144k miles recommended interval.

Clan Nov 25th, 2019 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnwood (Post 2575147)
For what it’s worth, no issues with my car before the cam belt was changed at the original 144k miles recommended interval.

That is typical ... It would be good it they had given the reason why the interval was reduced , could it be plain marketing?

edmoss Nov 25th, 2019 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke (Post 2575102)
I guess I'll find out in Jan when mines booked in. Would be nice to have an idea beforehand. They SHOULD include it, but I imagine they might not as it wasn't due at that time when the plan was purchased.

I took out the 3 years plan last year, think total cost over the 3 years is around £1100, woudl be great news if it now includes the cambelt change.
My XC60 D4is now on 81000 (66 plate) so next service I'm assuming it'll be due the cambelt. Before it was due after the 3 year contract had ended.

Be interested to see what Volvo say...

Craig S Dec 9th, 2019 15:44

My VEA D4 was serviced at the start of February (104k miles) and I was initially quoted a price including a timing belt change, but when I got there the dealer said it never needed the belt change.

But I presume that as my car is now beyond the recommended 90k miles I will have to prod them to make sure that they include the timing belt change in the next service?

That would be an interesting argument if there ever happened to be another issue a la EGR cooler....... "sorry you never followed the volvo service schedule" - but you changed the service schedule after its service and I only found out about this change via an online forum..... just saying

Clan Dec 9th, 2019 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig S (Post 2579320)
My VEA D4 was serviced at the start of February (104k miles) and I was initially quoted a price including a timing belt change, but when I got there the dealer said it never needed the belt change.

But I presume that as my car is now beyond the recommended 90k miles I will have to prod them to make sure that they include the timing belt change in the next service?

That would be an interesting argument if there ever happened to be another issue a la EGR cooler....... "sorry you never followed the volvo service schedule" - but you changed the service schedule after its service and I only found out about this change via an online forum..... just saying

The change of Interval was published after you took your car in , the next service is fine to have it done .

Doug97 Jan 8th, 2020 14:59

I've been hit by this. Just been quoted £864 by an independent garage. Seems steep to me.

Clan Jan 8th, 2020 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug97 (Post 2587358)
I've been hit by this. Just been quoted £864 by an independent garage. Seems steep to me.

independants are trying to get as near volvo prices( or more ) as they can now , for obvious reasons . try a different dealer ..

Tannaton Jan 8th, 2020 18:50

I'm assuming that the reason they have reduced the interval is as a result of recorded failures. But I don't think I can recall many if anyone on here ever posting about a VEA throwing it's belt?

Clan Jan 8th, 2020 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2587422)
I'm assuming that the reason they have reduced the interval is as a result of recorded failures. But I don't think I can recall many if anyone on here ever posting about a VEA throwing it's belt?

I think it is to do with emergency service vehicles , their interval was reduced to 50000 miles . I have never heard of a belt or tensioner failure on any VEA engine .

Doug97 Jan 9th, 2020 09:19

Now been quoted £600 by Volvo Cars Dundee. I thought independents were supposed to be cheaper lol?

Zebster Jan 9th, 2020 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug97 (Post 2587522)
Now been quoted £600 by Volvo Cars Dundee. I thought independents were supposed to be cheaper lol?

For a service including cambelt change on a VEA engine? That seems a bargain!