Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: 240 restore or sell (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300616)

240bus Nov 15th, 2019 23:23

240 restore or sell

I have bought I 240 estate with 95k 1 owner full history as a weekend drive and maybe a classic to come in the future. Looking for advice as it’s going for mot Monday and with the bits I have done should pass, how do the 240 age if not moving much? Should I look to sell now if I can’t do much over the next few years or keep and hope for the best condition wise when I have time to enjoy the car?

DW42 Nov 17th, 2019 08:28

I know this sounds bourgeois, but I have a 240 that I keep our kayaks on so I don't need to load them when we want to go out kayaking. It does very few miles in a year, and keeps just fine without very regular use. Mechanically I don't think that doing 1000 miles a year or so is a problem for these cars.

volvo always Nov 17th, 2019 18:59

Mine wasn't used much for 2 years.

I used to drive it round the block once a week to get it up to full temp and that was it. Made the mistake of leaving the handbrake on and went away for a few weeks and started it up and released handbrake and it clunked as brakes had seized on. As auto always left in Park with handbrake off!

If you give it a weekly start up/fortnightly drive I see no issues.

James.

heckflosse Nov 19th, 2019 12:38

as above, sticky brakes are the biggest worry. perhaps work the pads back and forth in the calipers a few times, and avoid leaving the handbrake on. otherwise enjoy a good quality family classic.

eternal optimist Nov 19th, 2019 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by heckflosse (Post 2573382)
as above, sticky brakes are the biggest worry. perhaps work the pads back and forth in the calipers a few times, and avoid leaving the handbrake on. otherwise enjoy a good quality family classic.

Agree with the above. I’d also put new pads on all round so as much of the piston is in the bore of the caliper as possible.

240bus Nov 20th, 2019 22:21

Great news it’s got a 12 month ticket now. Give it a 20 mile run and didn’t miss a beat. Tidy up and polish over the weekend then time to make a decision for the future of the 240. Thanks for all the comments good to know they will be fine without regular use.

Euroboy Nov 22nd, 2019 19:53

Well if its a K Jet like mine you shouldnt let it sit for too long... Like any car, the Volvo will deteriorate when sitting, but they aren't known for having troubles with it really, well built cars tbh.

Id do a semi restoration if I was you, like, mechanicaly my car is fine now but the interior is old and the paint/body is bad overall but there isnt any rust so thats fine, I can't afford full restoration anyway so im only taking care of the moving bits N fuely parts !