Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Valve Lubrication (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=266980)

BrianH Apr 25th, 2017 18:52

Valve Lubrication

Well I have now been running the valve lub. for a month.

The engine seems to be enjoying it.

Sounds like a sewing machine. Really smooth at 3000rpm.

Not easy to calibrate. There is a film of oil on the outside of the exhaust tail pipe!

Its 1000lts petrol to 1ltr oil ratio. This can mean up to 250 ml per week or half the calibrated container.

I wonder how it might get through the MOT.

I think I will turn down the calibration until the oil film goes.

BrianH 630K

Simon Jones Apr 25th, 2017 22:04

What system have you chosen? I've got electronic Flashlube on my Mazda but the XC70 came with a cheapy single point system on a 6 cylinder engine. I'm probably going to replace with genuine Flashlube manual system and a 6 way splitter drilled directly into the plastic manifold.

dingov70 Apr 27th, 2017 23:33

An MOT emissions test for LPG Etc, is performed differently to petrol . The engine is run at a set number of revs to purge the engine & visual check for smoke made & then the probe is used to read the output from the exhaust . It differs greatly from petrol tests . An oily film should not cause any problems , unless it is dripping from the tail pipe .

Might not be 100% accurate , as I have not performed one recently , do not see too many LPG vehicles

Simon Jones Apr 28th, 2017 13:15

Interesting. My camper van has a BRC conversion on it & it only just eeked thru the last MOT due to one of the readings being borderline. I don't recall which it was (possibly CO) but I intentionally ran it on petrol rather than gas: I'm wondering if they based the limits on it being LPG rather than petrol (assuming the threshold is different for LPG)?.

BrianH May 1st, 2017 20:15

Hi Guys

Ive got ERC system, which is a German.

On further experiance it seems the Flash Tube is the market leader. Certainly the instruction for use and dosage are easier and clear.

Electronic systems look interesting. I havent investigate this yet though.

My last MOT sans LPG lub at the time failed first emision. I turned down the mixture screw half a turn and it got through. 6 months later a burnt valve!

I call running on LPG a black art. Well worth it though.

BrianH

BrianH Jul 12th, 2017 19:05

Where to place it

Classic Swede will know the answer to this one.

My Polish mechanic put the lubrication inlet on the rubber CI bellows!!

It does'nt look right. I now carry a spare bellows.

Where is the best place to locate the inlet for the top end lubrication.

Further the tube which connects the oil bottle to inlet keeps splitting and dropping off.

Oh fun

BrianH LPG. 245 GL CI injection 1989 Murco A303 51.9 pl

classicswede Jul 12th, 2017 20:27

1 Attachment(s)
Ok that is totally the wrong place.

See picture for teh location of teh boss you need to drill and tap

BrianH Jul 16th, 2017 18:04

Thanks classicswede

Spot on

Now to get it right

BrianH

BrianH Jul 24th, 2017 19:02

I haven't changed location yet but the rate of lub seems to be about right.

Next problem.

We know that HT electrics have to be spot on. Suddenly started to back fire pulling on cold.

Playing... changed out the 245 CI distributer cap and the rotor and replaced it with a cleaned up kit. Cleaned HT leads and remade top plug connections.

This was an improvement. No backfire but a miss detectable on low RPM and pulling.

Changed with cleaned up origonal, as the first, cleaned up, seemed to be have a hot appearence on the resistance bit which is covered in black.

Seems OK now. 200 mls today. See tomorrow!

BrianH

dztcid Aug 9th, 2017 16:52

upper cylinder lubrication

Hi
i am not an expert, but i think it's useful to lubricate the cylinders with Flashlube or VLUB