Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Express for sale (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309166)

morwenna240 Aug 21st, 2020 19:39

Express for sale

There's a yellow 145 Express on ebay, a running project, says. Needs wheel arches, etc. Engine bay looks tidy. Over priced at 6.5k?

T4spanish Aug 21st, 2020 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwenna240 (Post 2658265)
There's a yellow 145 Express on ebay, a running project, says. Needs wheel arches, etc. Engine bay looks tidy. Over priced at 6.5k?

what is 145 express?

john.wigley Aug 21st, 2020 22:04

The 'Express' was in essence a semi-commercial version of the 145 which wasn't, as far as I know, generally imported into the UK. The most notable difference being a higher roof-line. To some, it's rarity in the UK could well justify a price premium over a regular 145. Whether that also means that it is overpriced is for prospective purchasers to decide.

Regards, John.

Burdekin Aug 22nd, 2020 09:31

It looks to be pretty rusty.

Underdrive Aug 22nd, 2020 12:41

It's a left hand drive so will be an import, no number plates so may not be registered here. The seller doesn't say where the barn was! £6.5 does seem like a lot, you could probably buy a better one elsewhere in Europe and import it for less.

Triple-S Aug 22nd, 2020 20:57

In their home country they were only considered as vans, so their life expectancy was very reduced. Most were thrashed to death.
You try finding an early Ford Transit here now - and you will appreciate the asking price of this Express. My Ford Thames camper (Transit predecessor) was near worthless in 1966: there are just a handful left now so the one I saw for auction recently was up for nearly £10k. That ensures only genuine enthusiasts will consider buying.

P

Derek UK Aug 23rd, 2020 14:11

During Tony Barrett's early years at Wellington and South Services, London, he had one of these that did lots of trips back and forth to Sweden for panels and spare parts. His was a light beige/stone Volvo colour. Lots of years ago and I don't know its fate. Not sure if his was set up as a "skapvagn" or still had drop down seats. Anyone got a photo in their archive? 😊

swedishandgerman Aug 24th, 2020 11:41

The last time I saw Tony Barrett's Express was a good few years ago at his place in Wellington where lots and lots of old Volvos were dismantled for parts. It was parked to one side and hadn't been driven for a long time even then. Soon after that, the site was developed and all the old cars were either rapidly dismantled or went to the scrap yard. I feel quite sure this was one of them

classicswede Aug 25th, 2020 00:46

I still think it is over priced considering the rust issues and you know it will be worse the more you dig into it.

They do not often come up for sale but even so going of the odd ones I have seen you would expect a lot better condition for the money. I would have thought about £2-3k but maybe there is a buyer for it

FBIVW Aug 25th, 2020 17:11

Express

Great to see there is interest in this rare old beast.
It has now been sold.