Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   0w-20 VCC RBS0-2AE engine oil (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295030)

Zebster May 23rd, 2019 13:15

0w-20 VCC RBS0-2AE engine oil

£26.99 for 5L seems very cheap, particularly with free postage... has anyone tried it or had any experience with Westway Lubricants?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-0W20-F...-/122740556779

AndyV7o May 23rd, 2019 17:30

The additive pack will be very weak at that price point, and its viscosity range highly dependant on a large dollop of viscosity-index-improving polymers (Vii), of which the ones used will be basic.
The upshot is, if it retains its required performance beyond 8k Id be surprised. Long before the full oci it wont be 0w20 anymore as a result of permanent shear from the basic Vii's. That said, it will have less vii than say a 0w40, so the proportional viscosity loss will be relatively low. Regardless, the other additives will also be deceased too.

Zebster May 23rd, 2019 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyV7o (Post 2522972)
The additive pack will be very weak at that price point, and its viscosity range highly dependant on a large dollop of viscosity-index-improving polymers (Vii), of which the ones used will be basic.
The upshot is, if it retains its required performance beyond 8k Id be surprised. Long before the full oci it wont be 0w20 anymore as a result of permanent shear from the basic Vii's. That said, it will have less vii than say a 0w40, so the proportional viscosity loss will be relatively low. Regardless, the other additives will also be deceased too.

But okay for any arising top-up requirements?

AndyV7o May 23rd, 2019 20:04

Yeah itd be fine for that!

Zebster May 24th, 2019 14:04

Bought!

But hopefully I won't need to use it...

Dash300 May 24th, 2019 21:09

That's a lot of topping up!
Almost an oil change🤔

Zebster May 24th, 2019 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash300 (Post 2523348)
That's a lot of topping up!
Almost an oil change🤔

True, but hopefully it'll last years and years!

I originally bought a 1L bottle of the correct Shell oil for top-ups, but that's now 50% used...

Dash300 May 25th, 2019 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2523351)
True, but hopefully it'll last years and years!

I originally bought a 1L bottle of the correct Shell oil for top-ups, but that's now 50% used...

As a matter of interest I'm wondering
how much oil most people are using by mileage. I'm at 93k and still not using any. Just curious to know when I might need to break the seal on my top up bottle!

Zebster May 25th, 2019 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash300 (Post 2523425)
As a matter of interest I'm wondering
how much oil most people are using by mileage. I'm at 93k and still not using any. Just curious to know when I might need to break the seal on my top up bottle!

Well so far I've used 0.5L since the oil change around 3k miles ago. It'll obviously be lot more accurate if I wait until the next servicd before quoting my consumption. However I don't know if my car has really consumed oil, or if the electronic level was somehow incorrectly set (or not set) at the last change.

As a related issue, I still can't work out why the electronic dipstick has to be reset at every oil change. If it's really super accurate with no drift then it should surely be set during production and then never touched? Resetting it at every change after the new oil has been loaded is asking for trouble...

Dash300 May 26th, 2019 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2523432)
Well so far I've used 0.5L since the oil change around 3k miles ago. It'll obviously be lot more accurate if I wait until the next servicd before quoting my consumption. However I don't know if my car has really consumed oil, or if the electronic level was somehow incorrectly set (or not set) at the last change.

As a related issue, I still can't work out why the electronic dipstick has to be reset at every oil change. If it's really super accurate with no drift then it should surely be set during production and then never touched? Resetting it at every change after the new oil has been loaded is asking for trouble...

A piece of pointless technology imo. Nevertheless if your consumption is correct
with my annual 20k I would be getting through over 3.5 ltrs per year and would rightly be buying in quantity as I do with my classics, which tend to leak more than use!
However at 93k and towing most of the time, so heavy use, I am currently using nothing between services. So I suspect and hope that your electric dipstick is telling lies.