Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 t5 geartronic (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271537)

kevinw90 Aug 13th, 2017 09:48

V70 t5 geartronic

Helloo. Looking for a quick bit of advice as im away to hopefully commit to buying a v70 t5 geartronic today. Its a later 06 phase 2 with a 5 speed box according to the hpi check (heard they changed to a 6 speed at some point). Its got just over 100k with 2 owners and full service history. Looks in magic condition but 1 thing that make nervous is the gearbox! Ive got so many confliciting views on the lifespan of a geartronic box. Any advise on what to look out for with these boxes and should i forget the car since its auto? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank
Kevin

Rossi-fan Aug 13th, 2017 10:18

If it's been looked after there shouldn't be a problem. It should have had the ATF changed before now, so check its colour on the dipstick, should be RED, and not brown or black. Test drive the car until it's nice and hot, if there's a problem with it, it will probably show up when the engine is at normal operating temperature.

kevinw90 Aug 13th, 2017 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossi-fan (Post 2307919)
If it's been looked after there shouldn't be a problem. It should have had the ATF changed before now, so check its colour on the dipstick, should be RED, and not brown or black. Test drive the car until it's nice and hot, if there's a problem with it, it will probably show up when the engine is at normal operating temperature.

Thanks ill double check that. If it hasnt been changed id presume changing it now would be a bit late to start?

Ive always wanted a t5, well always wanted an r but to nervous of the cylinder crack issue. I had a drive of a t5 the other week and loved it. It was manual tho and ive never seen a low miles, non police t5 for sale so i thought id settle for the auto

S60D5-185 Aug 13th, 2017 11:02

I could easily be wrong but on a 06 plate I would have thought that you may well have had the later ( better ) 6 speed Geartronic box which is definitely more reliable.:thumbs_up:

S60D5-185 Aug 13th, 2017 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinw90 (Post 2307931)
Thanks ill double check that. If it hasnt been changed id presume changing it now would be a bit late to start?

Ive always wanted a t5, well always wanted an r but to nervous of the cylinder crack issue. I had a drive of a t5 the other week and loved it. It was manual tho and ive never seen a low miles, non police t5 for sale so i thought id settle for the auto

Not at all.

If the box is in good condition when you buy it and is working perfectly even with old fluid in it then it is a simple matter to change the fluid and avoid future problems.

Loads of advice on here about how to do it and it is definitely a DIY job.

Re buying a T5 rather than an R, what a wise move!

The 2.4 T5 is a stonking engine with none of the R's issues.:thumbs_up:

kevinw90 Aug 13th, 2017 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2307933)
I could easily be wrong but on a 06 plate I would have thought that you may well have had the later ( better ) 6 speed Geartronic box which is definitely more reliable.:thumbs_up:

Thanks for this. Really giving me some confidence in getting it, always wanted 1 as i said and to be honest would pay for a recon box but dont want to do it just after i get the dam thing. See i thought it would have been the 6 speed box but the hpi definitely said t speed auto, could have been just around the time of the time of the changeover to the 6.

I love the look of the R, far more aggressive looking but just too much potential problems for me wanting a daily driver.

S60D5-185 Aug 13th, 2017 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinw90 (Post 2307937)
Thanks for this. Really giving me some confidence in getting it, always wanted 1 as i said and to be honest would pay for a recon box but dont want to do it just after i get the dam thing. See i thought it would have been the 6 speed box but the hpi definitely said t speed auto, could have been just around the time of the time of the changeover to the 6.

I love the look of the R, far more aggressive looking but just too much potential problems for me wanting a daily driver.

I agree, the R looks terrific and when running correctly is a wonderful car BUT in real time day to day driving I cannot see where it offers much over a 2.4 T5 performance wise and that engine is as tough as old boots if maintained properly.

T5 would be my choice every time.

If you are testing the car slide the gear lever to the left to access the manual mode and see how many gears show up on the display when you finally get it into top gear.

I have a D5 XC70 with the earlier 5 speed geartronic and it behaves itself even with 176k on it BUT the first thing I did on buying it was to change the belts and the auto fluid. As Rossi correctly said, get the car well and truly up to full operating temperature as any gearbox issues should show themselves then even though it may appear perfect when cold

Check that the belts have been changed and that there is documentary evidence.

If not, use it as a bargaining point but get them ALL done as soon as you get it.:thumbs_up:

Rossi-fan Aug 13th, 2017 11:52

Had an S60 T5 a few years back. Beautifully smooth, quiet and refined, probably the best car I've owned, if you can get passed the 26 to 30 mpg. Managed to squeeze 39 mpg on motorways. Just give it a good 20 to 30 minutes test drive, the gearboxes are generally good, but they will sometimes play up when hot if the oil changes have been neglected. As mentioned above, changing the ATF is as easy as changing the engine oil.

kevinw90 Aug 13th, 2017 13:08

Thanks for the replies. Given me a bit of confidence to go look at it and not worry too much about the gearbox. Thanks again

S60D5-185 Aug 13th, 2017 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinw90 (Post 2307986)
Thanks for the replies. Given me a bit of confidence to go look at it and not worry too much about the gearbox. Thanks again

Let us know how you get on and whether you have bought it:thumbs_up: