Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Handbrake etc (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277660)

amazon69 Jan 29th, 2018 15:14

Handbrake etc

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Further to my recent wrestles with the brakes on the Amazon, I have an issue now where the handbrake lever inside the drum keeps popping off due to wear on the pin that sits through the brake pad. Image shows the part. This part seems to be unavailable. Question 1: Has anyone got a drivers side one?
Q2: Can I not get rid of that annoying 'auto adjust' system and put in an older model manual adjust system instead? Thanks.

amazon69 Jan 29th, 2018 16:29

Ok, update. I spoke to Simon at Brookhouse to see if he had any parts/ideas. Eventually he remembered that Brian at Amazonia drills out the worn stud on the rear which causes all the problems and replaces it with a nut and bolt. So I did the same. Job done, for free. Hooray.

Ron Kwas Jan 29th, 2018 16:47

A69;

Answer to Q2: Look at picture...the Manual Adjuster IS already in place** (it adjusts the Bottom minimum separation of shoes, and is supposed to be adjusted periodically to minimize Pedal travel. BTW, Adjusters are of alu and steel and thus very susceptible to galvanic corrosion! Lube with graphite grease!).

Automatic adjuster works on Top end of Shoes (as do hydraulic pistons)...you can simply remove the Auto-Adjuster arrangement (Actuating Lever and Shoe-Spacer Lever with Star threaded adjustment), and replace it with a fixed dimension SSL, and done!

Please elaborate on why you find the 'auto adjust' system "annoying"!

** Edit: I stand corrected...what looks like a manual adjuster in the picture is apparently only a similarly sized spacer...I expect it could therefore be replaced by the actual Adjuster when making the retro-conversion. See also next posting.

Good Hunting!

amazon69 Jan 29th, 2018 17:13

What looks like an adjuster at the bottom of the pic is not, it's just a spacer. And I find the auto system annoying because the additional lever pushes up against the brake cylinder when the handbrake is on, causing the lever to shift, which causes wear on the rear pin, which got me to where I was today, removing the rear drum for the 10th time in a week.

Volvo_133 Jan 29th, 2018 17:19

Hi,
As you say the later cars just have a non adjusting block fitted in place of a manual adjuster. I have fitted earlier manual adjusters to my 1970 Amazon and the link bars in place of the auto adjusters. As Ron says wind the steel adjuster in and out with plenty of graphite grease before fitting the shoes. Greased annually will prevent corrosion issues.

amazon69 Jan 29th, 2018 17:37

Thanks. Does your later back plate have an opening for the adjuster or did you have to make one?

Volvo_133 Jan 29th, 2018 20:11

Hi,
The block which sits on the back plate is secured by 2 studs and 7/16" AF spanner sized nuts. The stud centres are then the same as the old type adjuster. No drilling/cutting just a straight swap.

simonvolvo Jan 30th, 2018 14:45

Had the same problem on one side (and lost the pin). Shame on Volvo for a weak design.

What worked for me: I custom made a new pin, pressed/riveted it in place (like the original) and, in addition, brazed / hard soldered the join. For good measure I brazed / hard soldered the pin of the brake on the other side as well.

Otherwise, I’m happy with those automatic adjusters, considering all the problems (galvanic corrosion and so on) that people seem to have with the manual adjusters.

I’m not sure what you mean by “wear on the pin”. The joint between the pin and the lever should be solid (no relative movement). The free end of the pin is a loose fit in a hole in the brake shoe (and retained in place by means of a "horse-shoe" washer on the end of the pin). There is movement of the pin relative to the brake shoe only when you operate the handbrake, so there shouldn’t be any wear to speak of.