Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   heated windscreen (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317497)

oldgreybloke Jun 9th, 2021 15:36

heated windscreen

Silly question time. I have just noticed, on my recently acquired 2015 d5 se lux that there are fine wires in the windscreen indicating that it is heated.....but it appears not to be as I only get the blown demister symbol in the screen display and increased fan speed. The heated screen symbol is greyed out.

Is it a question of fitting a module somewhere to provide the heated screen function? Also any ideas on cost If feasible?

Deck1ng Jun 9th, 2021 16:22

The same subject came up not too long ago and if I remember correctly, it comes on automatically when outside temp dropped below a certain amount. I belief that was -4 ish, or could have been -7. But I think you’ll have to wait until it’s a bit colder to confirm. I’ll see if I can trace the thread.
I’m starting to think now I’m talking a load of bo#%^*ks. Sorry. Can’t find what I was looking for but will continue the search

nozmeister Jun 9th, 2021 17:51

Pretty certain it comes on when the button is pressed and not to do with external temperature. If i turn my one on it will give a “heat haze” effect once it is up to temperature at any time of the year.

Adrian B Jun 9th, 2021 19:18

I started a thread about this. Have a look if you wish. If all works ok, the button above the AC button on the left side of the center switch panel should turn it on. Unless it's Really cold and Ice on windscreen it's hard to detect it's efficiency.

GrahamHR Jun 9th, 2021 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgreybloke (Post 2744085)
Silly question time. I have just noticed, on my recently acquired 2015 d5 se lux that there are fine wires in the windscreen indicating that it is heated.....but it appears not to be as I only get the blown demister symbol in the screen display and increased fan speed. The heated screen symbol is greyed out.

Is it a question of fitting a module somewhere to provide the heated screen function? Also any ideas on cost If feasible?

The electrical systems on Volvos of around 2015 are a bit strange.

My car has a heated steering wheel, which worked.
I selected it should not come on automatically.
It came on regardless, but only the indicating light, not the heating.
The fuse for the heated wheel is not fitted ! Putting one in does not make the heating work!

The fusebox schematics in the manual are wrong, maybe the fuse locations are wrong as well ?

oldgreybloke Jun 10th, 2021 07:47

Thankyou all. One of Volvos mysterious electrical systems conundrums perhaps.

Stevepvolvo Jun 10th, 2021 11:28

Hi
I have a 2015 R-Design XC60 with heated screen that I know works as have used over the past few winters and the question placed here piqued my curiosity. So this morning I went to the car and tried the heated screen.
When I press the front screen demist button on the centre console, immediately the pop up in the main screen shows the heated screen icon and then the blower icon. The heated screen is shown as white and the blower as grey until I press the demist button again and then the windscreen blower icon turns to white (and the fans kick in) - both front screen demist icons (electric demist/blower demist) then show in white in the temp/heated seats status bar at the bottom of the sensus screen

Tannaton Jun 11th, 2021 08:49

Have had 2 XC60 (2015 & 2017MY) and V40 (2013MY) with heated screen and on all of them it was turned on with the demist button - first press heated screen, second press heated screen and fans. Seemed to work regardless of outside temperature.

On the XC60's at least there was an auto option in the car menu but i thought that was for the rear screen & mirrors only?

Easington Jun 11th, 2021 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2744446)
Have had 2 XC60 (2015 & 2017MY) and V40 (2013MY) with heated screen and on all of them it was turned on with the demist button - first press heated screen, second press heated screen and fans. Seemed to work regardless of outside temperature.

On the XC60's at least there was an auto option in the car menu but i thought that was for the rear screen & mirrors only?

Exactly the same on a V40XC and a V60XC