Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Two really annoying oversights/omissions on the S90 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278286)

Stunts Feb 13th, 2018 16:16

Two really annoying oversights/omissions on the S90

So I've had my S90 for a few months now. I love it now as much as I did when I first received it. However, in driving the car there are two things that annoy me a bit. Both safety related. The first is the fact that you never know when your headlights are on. Yes there's a stupid sidelight indicator on the dash (I think every Volvo I've ever owned had this - pretty much pointless as the sidelights are always on!). There is no indicator for dipped beam, so if it's raining a little during the day, I don't know if the lights are on. Often I have to switch them on manually, completely negating the auto headlight function. Annoying!

The other thing is with Autopilot assist. The system will nag you to input steering with an orange warning on the dash, followed up with a bong noise. However, when the system loses control and passes it to you, the only thing that happens is the green steering wheel turns grey. Not very attention grabbing.... Surely an orange flash of the steering wheel icon and a bong would be sensible?

Just myth tuppence worth. Anything annoying anyone else??

nu11eaf Feb 13th, 2018 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunts (Post 2368801)
So I've had my S90 for a few months now. I love it now as much as I did when I first received it. However, in driving the car there are two things that annoy me a bit. Both safety related. The first is the fact that you never know when your headlights are on. Yes there's a stupid sidelight indicator on the dash (I think every Volvo I've ever owned had this - pretty much pointless as the sidelights are always on!). There is no indicator for dipped beam, so if it's raining a little during the day, I don't know if the lights are on. Often I have to switch them on manually, completely negating the auto headlight function. Annoying!

The other thing is with Autopilot assist. The system will nag you to input steering with an orange warning on the dash, followed up with a bong noise. However, when the system loses control and passes it to you, the only thing that happens is the green steering wheel turns grey. Not very attention grabbing.... Surely an orange flash of the steering wheel icon and a bong would be sensible?

I agree that the pilot assist should have a warning alarm when it fails to pick up the white lines and drops out maybe three fast bongs.

Boatie Feb 13th, 2018 23:07

Were I to remember them I've come across any number where I've felt warnings etc could be more sensible (to me anyway) Two off the top of my head are 1) Low fuel, 3 separate warnings? and why does the written warning give a distance (based on historical data) when fuel quantity would be more informative and 2) why do you not get positive warning when a DPF re-generation is in progress.

Frank
2017 MY V90.

If anyone says I don't need to know I'll say something very rude

Quacker Feb 14th, 2018 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunts (Post 2368801)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2368806)
I agree that the pilot assist should have a warning alarm when it fails to pick up the white lines and drops out maybe three fast bongs.

I agree 100% but one bong will do thanks.
I often wonder whether the headlights are on with auto lights. My Qashqai certainly does have a dipped beam light in the dash but not sure about the Honda, because I just don’t use the feature very often at all with it. Can’t say i’ve noticed, so probably not.

There is no reason why I should know when the car is regenerating the DPF. What is important is that it does so reliably for at least 150,000 miles before any manual maintenance is required. I have four vehicles with DPF and none of them tell me when they regenerate. They are a Ford, Nissan, Honda and Volvo. The only vehicle I know of that does, apart from heavy goods and tractors is the Isuzu pickup and it tends to make the drivers paranoid.

Distance to refuelling is far more useful than quantity of fuel left in the tank or the fraction of total capacity, in my opinion.

S90 Feb 14th, 2018 11:31

The output of the LED running lights when on Auto is enough to pass UK regulations and is extremely bright, plus the rears are always on.

I just put the lights in Auto and never bother with them, if the light drops then the main lights come on, at this point the output from the DRL drops.

I'm not really sure why thats a niggle

Milliner Feb 14th, 2018 12:41

I also tend not to worry about the auto lights - I've had them for years now and never really give them a thought, they just come on when needed.

I do agree about the auto-pilot disengaging though - something a bit more audible or tactile (buzzing the steering wheel perhaps) would help.

My other gripe is the voice control system, which I find hit and miss at best. Phone works OK, but I can't get it to find DAB stations (BBC 5 Live especially) and normally suggests random FM frequencies. No Spotify voice integration at all either. Surely these are what the system should be centred around as these are often changed whilst driving.

Nav voice settings and heating controls work fine, but I can't ever remember needing to change these once I've set off!

Bernard F Feb 14th, 2018 13:27

Auto lights are just that. Fit and forget. Should your headlights not be on at night I am sure you will know soon enough. With Pilot Assist, it’s not fit and forget. It’s Assist. Hands lightly on the wheel, alert with vision ahead and noting any warning when it disengages. I find it more relaxing to use on motorways but you do have to keep an eye on the white lines driving on other roads or not use it.

NickV90 Feb 14th, 2018 16:02

My issue with the auto lights is that if it is bright but foggy, I don't know if the headlamps are on ... so I switch them on anyway. Not very auto. In my Honda I could tell from the dash lights whether they were on or not.

Same with rain and twilight conditions

Philip Fisher Feb 14th, 2018 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickV90 (Post 2369156)
My issue with the auto lights is that if it is bright but foggy, I don't know if the headlamps are on ... so I switch them on anyway. Not very auto. In my Honda I could tell from the dash lights whether they were on or not.

Same with rain and twilight conditions

On cars without default rear illumination then this is a real problem. Wet and heavy spray on motorways sometimes confuses auto lights and they then fail to come on. I find cars without lights in these situations very difficult to see and I find this is dangerous.

However the Volvo has bright DRLs at the front and red side lights at the back all the time, so even if the headlights are late to trigger then the car will still be very visible. Once I discovered this I stopped worrying about whether the auto lights were on or not.

HamDenFede Feb 14th, 2018 17:11

I set my stalk to 'auto' for the front/rear DRL to do its job (always on for the front), and noticed that the interior mood lighting (the colored LED in the ceiling) comes on alongside the dipped beam and the rear lights, whenever natural lights become to low. For what its worth, you can use that as an indicator.