Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   340/360 models NL/UK (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292357)

Mhb Mar 2nd, 2019 00:06

340/360 models NL/UK

Dear members.

I have an important question.
In the Netherlands we race with these types of volvos.
The volvo 360 cup.
Something that often happens is the breaking off of the left wheel hub due to the heavy load on the left front leg.
This is because in the left-hand drive cars the counter drive is located in a hole in the wheel hub.
No one uses the kilometer counter anymore because often grease comes out of the hole because it gets hot or the cable breaks.
My question is.
Is there then in the right-driven volvo the counter drive than in the right wheel hub.
And where and from whom should I buy it if that is the case?

It would save a lot of accidents because in 2018, 2 cars were killed by breaking off the hub.
1 car was shot straight through the crash barrier with a lot of speed, so that very little of the car remained intact
The holes are sealed but often remains a weak spot, causing them to break off on the circuit.

Hope you can help me (us).

Regards,

Marc

P.s. my English may be a bit on the bad side, but hope you understand me.

Clan Mar 2nd, 2019 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhb (Post 2500184)
Dear members.

I have an important question.
In the Netherlands we race with these types of volvos.
The volvo 360 cup.
Something that often happens is the breaking off of the left wheel hub due to the heavy load on the left front leg.
This is because in the left-hand drive cars the counter drive is located in a hole in the wheel hub.
No one uses the kilometer counter anymore because often grease comes out of the hole because it gets hot or the cable breaks.
My question is.
Is there then in the right-driven volvo the counter drive than in the right wheel hub.
And where and from whom should I buy it if that is the case?

It would save a lot of accidents because in 2018, 2 cars were killed by breaking off the hub.
1 car was shot straight through the crash barrier with a lot of speed, so that very little of the car remained intact
The holes are sealed but often remains a weak spot, causing them to break off on the circuit.

Hope you can help me (us).

Regards,

Marc

P.s. my English may be a bit on the bad side, but hope you understand me.

No the UK RHD 300 still use the hole in the left hub , they have to because the other side rotates the wrong way … I find it hard to think that 6 mm hole causes breakage , the strength is all taken on the outside of the shaft the centre has very little effect on strength , however maybe all your race tracks are clockwise which puts a larger strain on the left side every time you race ??

360beast Mar 2nd, 2019 12:11

If you don't use the Speedo cable anymore and you believe it is the cause of the problem then could you weld the hole up?

Clan Mar 2nd, 2019 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2500257)
If you don't use the Speedo cable anymore and you believe it is the cause of the problem then could you weld the hole up?

the ole goes right through the stub axle so about 3 inches deep .
I wonder if a long very high tensile bolt would go through the hole with a nut on the end ? A lot of tension could be added which might help ...

classicswede Mar 2nd, 2019 17:21

They are already filling the hole to try and put more strength in.

The reason they are failing is due to overheating the brakes weakening the stub axle. It is something you will only see in track racing. To make maters worse a clockwise track (as most are) are putting the most cornering stress on that LHS strut.

The first part of the solution is cooling the brakes and the second part is a stronger stub axle with bigger bearings.

foggyjames Mar 7th, 2019 18:09

This makes me a little nervous about my 343 - the brakes get extremely hot on track!

cheers

James