Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Possible purchase (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298390)

heyskull Sep 8th, 2019 08:15

Possible purchase

After my son bought his S60 D5 it has intrested me in buying one.

The car sales place next to me has a 2002 D5 automatic come in as part ex.
It is half decent condition but has the awful oak leather interior which could be only worse if it was the cream interior.

Has anyone one come across a decent and cheap way of rejuvenating this colour, as it never seems to be as hard wearing as the black leather?

Also this had the original in dash sat nav system which will probably need updating. Is their a manual for this (as it is not part of the original owners manual) and any updates still available? Is their anything else you can do with this using the screen as a dvd player etc?

Lastly what should I be looking for regarding faults and repairs to check for?

SC

reggit Sep 8th, 2019 09:40

Had a couple with the Oak interior and it wasn't bad at all, but does show wear quicker than black - I think you can get leather dye if that's what you want to do. or there are various leather feed treatments around.

the satnav is OK, but lacks postcode input which is a pain. Last available discs are 2015 - check it works as the laser gets weak and can fail as they get older. If buying new discs, get used ones off ebay as volvo still charge around £200 as far as I know. The screen was also used as a TV and the car may have a tuner built in, if so this will be analogue so is as much use as a chocolate fireguard these days.

This age of car can suffer a failing dashboard cluster (volvo speak is DIM), its around a £100 repair - if anything on the dash is suspect, factor this in. May be as little as the highbeam warning light not working. Also check the little screen at the bottom left is working, will say door open etc at the appropriate times. It's also used to advise if there are any faults on the car (but not what the fault is) some unscrupulous sellers have been known to take the back light bulbs out of it!

Otherthings, they are heavy cars, so likely getting ready for some of the suspension bushes/shocks etc renewing.

Timing belt is 10 years/108,000 miles - the auxbelt and tensioners must also have been done as failure here often takes out the timing belt.

This thread may be useful reading https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40932

heyskull Sep 8th, 2019 17:48

Well all the dashboard works brilliantly and the car runs and changes gear so smoothly.

As for the sat nav their is no disc in the drive so I will not know whether it is ok without it.
Is their somewhere I can download it or buy it cheaply?

Bit weird that although it has sat nav and the dolby pro logic stereo it doesn't have heated seats.

The seats are OK but not perfect with the normal bolster repair on the drivers seat. If their was one thing I would change is the horrible colour but sadly it carries on to the door cards and dashboard! Would it look odd with the seats dyed?

The centre armrest console has a broken hinge and a very tatty handbrake gator.

SC

davebb Sep 8th, 2019 20:38

You can get very good gaters from ebay
How many miles and what price is it,
Dave

barrybritcher Sep 12th, 2019 01:48

dont bother if its an auto. Unless you have evidence its been refurbed

heyskull Sep 12th, 2019 10:18

barrybritcher

Really?
Drives better than my sons Manual which is three years younger and 50,000 miles less.
ATF is clean and it works perfectly when at working temperature.
It has no warning lights and was owned by a haulage company that serviced and maintained it.
Normally I can fault something, but this drives as if it's a three year old car (probably better than some three year old cars)

SC

barrybritcher Sep 12th, 2019 10:26

Mine worked perfectly when bought it for a few months. Enthusiast owned and looked after. It's just not as bullet proof as manual. Now I get slippage

barrybritcher Sep 12th, 2019 10:29

My previous T5 I never had any geartronic problems as Volvo had fitted a new box halfway through the cars life.

If there's proof it's been done then yea all good

heyskull Sep 12th, 2019 11:18

This car has the standard Auto box not the Geartronic one.

SC

barrybritcher Sep 12th, 2019 11:21

Same innards