Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Dipstick Problem - Broken, Can't Source Part (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=233135)

Phaedrus68 Jul 16th, 2015 09:32

Dipstick Problem - Broken, Can't Source Part

Failed NCT yesterday (separate thread pending...). One fail point was that they couldn't check the oil, as the knob is missing from the top of the dipstick, so couldn't pull it out. I've been using a pliers since it broke.

Rang local Volvo yesterday - they don't have, and can't get the part (not produced any more, apparently). Local breaker hasn't got one, nor do Mick's Garage, Mr Auto, nor PFV.

As mine's a VAG D5252T (seemingly rare/non-existent in breakers), should I be looking for an Audi 100/A6 2.5TD dipstick?

Should I be measuring my dipstick to ones from Audis in breakers?

Should I buy a small plastic knob from B&Q and araldite it on?

What are my options here?

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

dgunthor Jul 16th, 2015 09:41

yup, i'd just add a knob to it if you are having trouble sourcing a replacement.

could also try some sugru?

Phaedrus68 Jul 16th, 2015 09:52

Just looking at Sugru there now - never heard of it. Interesting stuff. Couldn't see a version that sets hard? Would a soft knob be effective?

Kinda want to sort this today/tomorrow - back to NCT for retest tomorrow.

cheshired5 Jul 16th, 2015 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus68 (Post 1947583)
Would a soft knob be effective?

Take a seat........ this could be a tricky conversation.

Phaedrus68 Jul 16th, 2015 10:24

:regular_smile:

I contemplated adding a winky, or an "ooer", but I decided to let it run on its own and see what happened...

Brendan W Jul 16th, 2015 10:28

Of course it would depend on the effect one was trying to have. I can imagine all sorts of interesting effects.

Rossi-fan Jul 16th, 2015 10:48

A hard knob might work better. They can be a bit stiff when you pull on it.

Simon Jones Jul 16th, 2015 11:31

The NCT must be more thorough than MOTs in the UK as checking any fluid levels is very much out of scope. Presumably for modern dipstick-less models they must check for presence of warning lights on the dash or there would be a lot more failures :).

Brendan W Jul 16th, 2015 12:01

Some variability there. I have witnessed a car failing for a headlight bulb that blew as the tester was driving it into the bay and another tester who tweaked a headlight alignment to allow the car to pass.

Phaedrus68 Jul 16th, 2015 13:36

I've been removing the dipstick with a pliers for oil checks, and I suggested to NCT guy that I had a plier in my bag, if he wanted to use that so he could check the oil. He looked for a moment like he was contemplating it, but then just said, "ah you should probably just have a proper one anyway". Fair enough.

I have to go back for the headlight anyway.