Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Rear wash wiper pipe routing (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302505)

colinstubbs Jan 16th, 2020 18:16

Rear wash wiper pipe routing

Does anyone know where the rear washer pipe routes after entering the front bulkhead in front of the driver???

I have pressure from the pump but nothing at the rear. The nozzle isnt blocked and there's nowt coming out of the pipe on its own. I also cant see any obvious damp points OR leaks so I'm stumped at where to start, I don't really want to rip out more interior than I need to in the crap weather we're having!!!

Looking online has been of no use at all, so any help would be great :) Cheers

Volvoluke Jan 16th, 2020 20:22

Hi, I have a similar problem that I am yet to fix. I can tell you that my washer fluid ends up under the back seats. Maybe somewhere for you to start...

Laird Scooby Jan 16th, 2020 20:34

Probably easier if the pair of you look at this thread and ask questions if the answers aren't already there :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302282

colinstubbs Jan 16th, 2020 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2590027)
Probably easier if the pair of you look at this thread and ask questions if the answers aren't already there :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302282

Cheers mate - reading through that it would appear its all down the lower right hand side, splendid stuff. :cool:

TonyS9 Jan 18th, 2020 11:48

I thought it went up along the roof from the A-pillar, but I would definately check it at the 1-way valve near the rear light cluster (remove the tool box panel).

colinstubbs Jan 18th, 2020 14:16

Well starting at the correct side will be cool and it should be more obvious from there!

Laird Scooby Jan 18th, 2020 14:42

I've just found the problem with mine, Volvo in their infite wisdome fited an NRV on both the front and rear washer lines close to the pumps on mine. I'd already replaced one a couple of years back (for the rear) as that wasn't flowing so didn't suspect that one was now the cause of that not working properly.

However, because the screenwash i added a few months back turned to something snotty and blocked a few things, it turned out it had turned that new NRV to snot inside as well. Drilled it out and refitted, rear wash action restored!

The fronts had gone weak too, I replaced the T-valve on the underside of the bonnet a couple of years back as the old one was leaking so again, didn't suspect that.
Before i tried in though, i checked the NRV originally fitted by Volvo near the pump. Had to give that the same treatment as the aftermarket one and then got a slight improvement. Had a normal T-piece for a vacuum take-off i added and no longer use so swapped that with the T-valve. Suddenly my screen wash was way better than it ever has been, even when i first fitted the fan-mist jets (from an S/V40, straight fit and vast improvement on the screen wash!) they now squirt higher and harder onto the screen.

Refilled the washer reservoir (again!) and hopefully that's me sorted for a good while! :thumbs_up:

Ian21401 Jan 18th, 2020 16:02

The screen wash that I was using when I acquired my 940 in 2005 went snotty and blocked the inline filter which was impossible to clean. I cleaned the reservoir and pipework and renewed the filter and changed the screen wash additive to Halfords concentrate. (Dilute to your requirements). Since then had no further blockage problems.

Laird Scooby Jan 18th, 2020 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian21401 (Post 2590697)
The screen wash that I was using when I acquired my 940 in 2005 went snotty and blocked the inline filter which was impossible to clean. I cleaned the reservoir and pipework and renewed the filter and changed the screen wash additive to Halfords concentrate. (Dilute to your requirements). Since then had no further blockage problems.

I was (and had been) using Wilko own brand screenwash additive that was originally a concentrate. I noticed on the bottle of it that went snotty that is is now "Ready to use" - in other words, no dilution necessary.

I'm not sure when they changed it and haven't had a previous problem but the fact they have changed it leads me to believe it was some sort of incompatibility of the new and old type fluids. Right or wrong i have no idea.

The washers started deteriorating in their performance over summer (that's when the snotty stuff appeared) so i flushed it through with clean water for a couple of reservoirs full then added a pint of white vinegar and clean water and this seemed to sort things. It was only when i added another dose of the Wilko stuff (after using only clean water in between) that the snot came back.

More clean water through the reservoir (3 refills) then i added some Flash - not the ideal thing but gives a nice, smear-free finish.

At the moment, it has the remains of the Flash and more clean water, the only thing not working exactly as they should are the headlamp washers so i might have to investigate those too, ensure the pump is running (i retro fitted an additional pump on mine) and go from there.

From now until the weather warms up and i can go back to using a proprietary additive screenwash, i'm going to stick with what is working and see how things go. :thumbs_up:

colinstubbs Jan 21st, 2020 23:28

I've only used Decosol Excel for years in both my cars