Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Suspension: "special tool" for replacing rear shocks. Is it necessary. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71953)

Hifive May 5th, 2009 23:42

"special tool" for replacing rear shocks. Is it necessary.

Hi folks,
I'm about to replace the rear Nivomat shocks on my XC90 but according to the Volvo Vadis, I need the Volvo special tool, "tensioner 9995659"
Anyone know what this is and if s it absolutely necessary to do the job.
The job looks simple enough and in the past I've made my own special tools, such as special pullers etc for use on my other cars.
I can only presume this tool is used to keep the suspension fixed in place so as to make fitting the new part easier. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Mark.

Hifive May 13th, 2009 13:01

OK, for the benefit of anyone considering new shocks for the XC90, I'll answer my own question:)

I did the job yesterday in under an hour.
Rear wheels off, axle stands under the subframe.
The only difficulty is holding the TORX screw at the top of the shock while undoing the 18 mm nut at the top mounting.
Top mounting is under the 3 row seat cushion, pull back the carpet cut the insulation with a craft knife (it's obvious where to make the cut) and remove the two dust covers.
Volvo have a special socket for this, but if you clamp an 18 socket really tight in a vice grip you can get at the torx through the middle of the socket and hold it while releasing the top nut
After this its just a matter of releasing the bottom 17mm bolt and pulling it out the bottom. You'll have to jack up the suspension to get it to clear the spring on the way out.
As they say, installation is the reverse of removal:)

I think the "tensioner" must be to keep everything at ride height while changing suspension components, probably more important for bushings and the like.
When it's all back together, the measurement between the top of the wheel arch and the center of the wheel should be 453mm

Jobs a good un'
Mark.

jshack May 13th, 2009 18:07

Presumably you had to replace the nivomats because they were worn. What mileage was this at? And did you replace like with like?

Thanks,

James

Hifive May 13th, 2009 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshack (Post 504608)
Presumably you had to replace the nivomats because they were worn. What mileage was this at? And did you replace like with like?

Thanks,

James

Hi James,
Yes, it was because of wear, but only one side was shot. I know you should replace both, and I may still have to, but I just replaced that one because Nivomats for the XC90 are crazy money (€360.00 each)
Mileage when it went out was 70K miles.
I got the replacement, (Like for like) Nivomat from Simon:star: at FRV in Swansea, who comes highly recommended by the way. I saved nearly €200.00 (euro) on the part price compared to the local stealer.
Mark.