Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C70 Spare Wheel or not? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296898)

lnparry Jul 22nd, 2019 20:49

C70 Spare Wheel or not?

Hi C70 owners,

I'm normally on the 740/940 part of the forum as I have a 1998, 940 estate. However, I think the C70 is a super looking car and fancy some wind in my hair whilst I still have some!

Hopefully, if my wife agrees, a C70 could join the 940. Question I have is regarding the spare wheel. Do C70's have one? If not can you fit one in the boot - even a space saver? Just don't fancy relying on a can of gunk if I have a puncture in my advancing years.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
LeeP

philrocks Jul 22nd, 2019 21:47

Yes they have a spacesaver kit that came with them, and it fits in the boot in a well. Mine came with one, but I sold it since I never carried it with me because I wanted the extra boot space.

You can normally get the kit for around £50-100 IIRC.

Sysyphus Jul 22nd, 2019 23:16

Not sure on that side of the pond, but later years (11-13?) in the States came with an inflator and can of gunk standard

lnparry Jul 24th, 2019 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by philrocks (Post 2538581)
Yes they have a spacesaver kit that came with them, and it fits in the boot in a well. Mine came with one, but I sold it since I never carried it with me because I wanted the extra boot space.

You can normally get the kit for around £50-100 IIRC.

Thanks Phil.

Nice looking car. We are on holiday in Torquay in September - will look out for it.

Cheers,
LeeP

Simmy Jul 27th, 2019 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnparry (Post 2538553)
Hi C70 owners,

I'm normally on the 740/940 part of the forum as I have a 1998, 940 estate. However, I think the C70 is a super looking car and fancy some wind in my hair whilst I still have some!

Hopefully, if my wife agrees, a C70 could join the 940. Question I have is regarding the spare wheel. Do C70's have one? If not can you fit one in the boot - even a space saver? Just don't fancy relying on a can of gunk if I have a puncture in my advancing years.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
LeeP

yes i have a spacesaver wheel comes in a volvo bag .to keep thing clean as it acts as part of the boot floor and a compressor with a can of sealant . keep check that your locking wheel nuts are not jammed or the nut key missing both of these thing will stop you fitting any spare:regular_smile:

phil1968 Jul 28th, 2019 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2539756)
yes i have a spacesaver wheel comes in a volvo bag .to keep thing clean as it acts as part of the boot floor and a compressor with a can of sealant . keep check that your locking wheel nuts are not jammed or the nut key missing both of these thing will stop you fitting any spare:regular_smile:

Also check the end of the wheel brace hasn't spread / fractured because of the original weak design ...as I found when I needed mine at the roadside a couple of years back :rolleyes: The replacement I bought from Volvo was considerably beefed up in that area.

Simmy Jul 28th, 2019 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil1968 (Post 2539985)
Also check the end of the wheel brace hasn't spread / fractured because of the original weak design ...as I found when I needed mine at the roadside a couple of years back :rolleyes: The replacement I bought from Volvo was considerably beefed up in that area.

good point phil . i always carry a socket and 24in breaker bar it keeps the socket square on the nut . unlike factory wheel braces which are usualy angled:regular_smile:

Sysyphus Jul 28th, 2019 16:08

...and no one has yet mentioned the importance of checking the pressure in the spare regularly... most of the little ones need to be something like 60PSI... a few years back my wife burst a tire on the way home from work... I drove to meet her, jacked it up, got the wheel off, the “donut” on... all seemed great until I lowered it back down, and the weight of the car on it crushed it flat as a pancake - it had been sat in the boot for years, never checked, and over those years had eventually leaked down to just 22psi... luckily I did have my inflater in my car otherwise we would have been waiting for a tow.